World Cup 2010 - Group runner up race

He had Stan beside him on many an occasion.

Kenny was caught out from time to time, but that wasn’t down to lack of effort. I wont be calling him the Irish Cannavaro or anything. Kenny was a stalwart and a grafter, lot of respect for him.

I save my legendary Irish footballer status for people on Paul McGrath’s level, and there wasn’t many up there.

After the 2002 World Cup was Cunninghams best period I thought. He did well up to the World Cup but if a fella can’t break up a partnership between Stan (left back) and Gary Breen (useless coont) then I’d hardly be calling him a legend.

[quote=“myboyblue”]He had Stan beside him on many an occasion.

Kenny was caught out from time to time, but that wasn’t down to lack of effort. I wont be calling him the Irish Cannavaro or anything. Kenny was a stalwart and a grafter, lot of respect for him.

I save my legendary Irish footballer status for people on Paul McGrath’s level, and there wasn’t many up there.[/quote]

That’s not true. He had the genius of Gary Breen myself him on nearly all occassions. In fact when Staunton (more prone to howlers than Cunningham ever was) got into a bit of form before the World Cup in 2002 Cunningham was left out as McCarthy did not believe the two could play together due to a lack of pace.

Staunton was immense in the 2002 World Cup.

McCarthy felt that Cunningham couldn’t play beside him and also appeared to have a crush on Gary Breen.

Breen and Cunningham would be on the same level in Irish legendary status for me.

Shocking dismissal of an Irish great.

Cunningham I mean.

I see your point farmer, but I don’t go into this over the top on average players. He was a magnificent servant, but an Irish legend?

Paul McGrath was an Irish legend, Cunny Kenningham is not on that level for me farmer.

[quote=“myboyblue”]
Paul McGrath was an Irish legend, Cunny Kenningham is not on that level for me farmer.[/quote]

Not putting him on the same pedastel as McGrath (an uber legend) or Keane, or even Given, but a legend nonetheless.

The word legend gets tossed around a little too easily for my liking thats all farmer, nothing againt Cunny.

Breen played 3 or 4 good games for Ireland, which coincidentally happened to be at the World Cup. Most other times he was a joke. Cunningham always performed at a solid level of consistency and could always be depended on. He was Irelands best choice at Centre Half when he was second choice right back for his club.

He’s annoyed me ever since he went to RTE though. Doesnt talk as good a game as he played.

[quote=“myboyblue”]I see your point farmer, but I don’t go into this over the top on average players. He was a magnificent servant, but an Irish legend?

Paul McGrath was an Irish legend, Cunny Kenningham is not on that level for me farmer.[/quote]

McGrath was special alright, and he’d be in my Irish HoF (Hall of Fame) but his reliability was suspect on occasion.

Staunton as a player was great. Solid defender and great service up the field. Sure, he was far from perfect, but as we don’t live in Brazil thus our pantheon will contain some flawed gems. Plus 3 goals directly from the corner !

Maybe going off on a tangent here lads but what would you pick as the best Irish soccer team of the players that you’ve seen play. For most of us it might be from 1988 onwards. Mine would probably look like

Given
Irwin, Moran, McCarthy, Staunton
Houghton, McGrath, Keane, Duff
Keane, Aldridge

Honourable mentions to Quinn, Cascarino and Eddie McGoldrick. Never saw Chippy play for Ireland so I couldnt include him. Playing McGrath in midfield as he has to be included somewhere. Would probably go with a subs bench of:
Bonnar (GK), Cunningham, Townsend, Quinn, Cascarino,

Thats tough, straight away Chippy, Lawro, Packie, Galvin all come to mind for me.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Staunton was immense in the 2002 World Cup.

McCarthy felt that Cunningham couldn’t play beside him and also appeared to have a crush on Gary Breen.[/quote]

Revisionist bollox Farmer, Steve Staunton was hopeless towards his later days in a green shirt including that World Cup. In the midst of Roy Keane’s herculean performances in qualifying people tend to forget how much we rode our luck at the back with Staunton and the then honey monster Dunne being hopeless. Staunton was completely at fault for the Cameroon goal and just generally shit. Breen in fairness had a good tournament.

Cunningham was coming back from long term injury but proved when he came on against Spain that he should have been first choice. There was some sly goings on post Saipan. Staunton who backed McCarthy was made captain despite the fact Cunningham was by miles a better player. Gary Kelly started ahead of Finnan for the first game which was a shocking decision. Jason McAteer lied to say he was fit when injured and encouraged Mark Kennedy to do the same. Kevin Kilbane started every game despite being really awful.

[quote=“Mac”]Maybe going off on a tangent here lads but what would you pick as the best Irish soccer team of the players that you’ve seen play. For most of us it might be from 1988 onwards. Mine would probably look like

Given
Houghton, McGrath, Keane, Duff
Keane, Aldridge

Honourable mentions to Quinn, Cascarino and Eddie McGoldrick. Never saw Chippy play for Ireland so I couldnt include him. Playing McGrath in midfield as he has to be included somewhere. Would probably go with a subs bench of:
Bonnar (GK), Cunningham, Townsend, Quinn, Cascarino,[/quote]

Good question.

I would go with:

Given,
Irwin, Moran, McGrath, Staunton
Houghton, Keane, Whelan, Duff
Quinn, Keane

Kenny on the bench obviously!

I loved Alridge as a player for Liverpool but feel that Quinn offered more to Ireland than him. Last nights goal was Robbie’s 38th for Ireland and people still slag him off!

Also - it’s Ronnie Whelan in centre mid!

[quote=“KIB man”]Revisionist bollox Farmer, Steve Staunton was hopeless towards his later days in a green shirt including that World Cup. In the midst of Roy Keane’s herculean performances in qualifying people tend to forget how much we rode our luck at the back with Staunton and the then honey monster Dunne being hopeless. Staunton was completely at fault for the Cameroon goal and just generally shit. Breen in fairness had a good tournament.
[/quote]

Staunton was shite in the qualifier against Portugal for instance but in the tournament itself I thought he was immense - particularly against Spain.

Agree on the strange selctions though. I particularly recall the Kelly for Finnan one - very strange.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Staunton was shite in the qualifier against Portugal for instance but in the tournament itself I thought he was immense - particularly against Spain.

Agree on the strange selctions though. I particularly recall the Kelly for Finnan one - very strange.[/quote]

Not really Morientes ran rings around the Irish defence in the first half. How many debatable disallowed goals went in?

Was doing my English exam for the Germany game but against Cameroon he was shocking. A liability.

I didnt like McCarthy management of Saipan and what was worse was the way he seemed to reward those that spoke out publically for him. Gary Kelly ahead of Finnan - shocking. Alan Kelly was the only one that didnt benefit

[quote=“KIB man”]Not really Morientes ran rings around the Irish defence in the first half. How many debatable disallowed goals went in?
[/quote]

Morientes and Raul was a fantastic strike force - arguably as good as there was around at the time. Wouldn’t say Moreintes rang rings around the defense - there was a few dodgy offside calls but shit like that happens. They certainly didn’t cut us open at will.

Given,
Houghton, McGrath, Whelan, Duff
Quinn, Aldridge

Bench : Bonner, Keane, Townsend, Keane, Stapleton

Aldridge gave his all for Ireland and would have more goals than Keane had he played in a different setup. Coming on against Mexico in '96 he nearly singlehandedly turned it round.

Kean (Roy) has undoubted talent but questionable character, and I know that’s gonna draw comments.

There are a few others that spring to mind and had memorable moments, such as Kevin Sheedy and Cascarino (or Terry Ice-i-creamo as Charlton used to call him).

Given
Irwin McGrath Moran Whelan

Houghton Brady** Keane Duff

Keane Quinn

*played there for Liverpool at times, dunno about Ireland?
**Saw him play against W.Germany in '89, my first game, so I’m including him