World Cup 2018 Betting Thread

They’ve won two world cups before. I’d give them a serious chance.

They’re like the Wexford footballers, the pedigree is always there

Outstanding defence and attack in fairness. Few midfielders coming through too. They will likely do well but winning it is a step too far IMO

1 Like

Record Copa America winners

Brazil are flying. Qualified early and with ease. The goals are flowing. Got the talent up front and the grit in midfield. A complete team. Price is short but punters such as @Watchyourtoes have the value snapped up long ago.

1 Like

Some of us had flagged this as early as March 2017.

@Mac can remember me on about investing all our horse racing win money to go on Brazil over a year ago. Was 7s at the time if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

If Brazil win it my trip to NYC will be well covered :pray:

1 Like

Brazil Germany final. Brazil to redeem themselves from the last humiliation.

In Tite we trust!

Would what happened in the last World Cup not bother you?

Different animal this time around,proper manager too

I’d have worries about what will happen when the heat turns on. I hope they win playing free flowing football but the winning teams I remember since Brazil 02 it’s normally well drilled/defensive sides that win. Knockout soccer is so cagey.

I’m all on on Uruguay. The analysis from @Smark is full of flaws but fuck it anyway

3 Likes

No man different style of play now. They are a top outfit.

Won’t get the free flowing football but they will get goals and seem solid in midfield and center back and goals.

Brazil do look very solid going into this tournament, but I still wouldn’t rule out the prospect of a meltdown from them. Mentally, Brazil teams have been continually found wanting since 1970.

2014 was such a capitulation that we’ll only know if they’ve overcome it if and when they’re in a high pressure situation against a good team in the knockout stages. That capitulation had been coming - they looked extremely vulnerable against Chile.

2010 was a mental capitulation. In the first half against Holland they looked imperious, and were playing a system which looked difficult to break down. The Dutch put the pressure on after half-time and Brazil capitulated meekly.

In 2006 they were beaten long before the final whistle against France.

The 1998 final was a capitulation. They never looked like coming back even when France went 1-0 up.

In 1990 they couldn’t put Argentina away despite dominating and ended up conceding late.

'86 was a capitulation of sorts - they conceded a soft goal, then missed a penalty, then lost on penalties.

In '82 they gave away two dreadfully soft goals to Paolo Rossi which eliminated them.

In '74 they lost the plot completely and tried to kick the Dutch off the pitch.

You could go all the way back to 1950 when they lost to Uruguay at the Maracana after taking a second half lead when a draw would have won them the World Cup.

Their 1958, 1962 and 1970 wins came when they were unquestionably the best team.

Even in winning in 1994 they didn’t perform at all in the final and barely scraped over the line on penalties.

Only in 2002 did they display genuine mental fortitude when coming back against England and digging out a win against Germany. But that World Cup seriously opened up for them with the three big favourites in France, Argentina and Italy all going out early, and while they beat what was put in front of them, what they had to beat was far from top class.

Brazil generally don’t dig out results against top sides in World Cups in the way that Germany or Italy or even Holland have historically done, and they are usually prone to a meltdown to some degree.

That doesn’t mean they will have a meltdown this time, but I wouldn’t write off the prospect.

Brazil in 98 and 02 world cups were a joy to watch.

Empire hotel is a good hotel in a great location in upper manhattan, pal.

1 Like

That’s exactly where i’m booked in pal!

1 Like