World War 2

I did two tours myself pal.

1 Like

That’s just about the best post I’ve ever read on here.

1 Like

I was trying to get something on my grandfather’s exploits on D-day … Allegedly he killed 258 Germans, saved his etire unit and carried his best mate 100 miles to safety, but that’s for another day.

I did find this on him from 1942 - Thomas Frayne.

It’s not quite up there with my two tours in the FCA but impressive all the same.

10 Likes

I did a very significant tour of duty with An Slua Muiri but I don’t like to talk about it.

3 Likes

Thank you for your service

5 Likes

Thank god it’s over now

I’dsay @kyle did more hooring than touring

1 Like

Bayeux is worth a visit

1 Like

Could take in the famous tapestry as well.

1 Like

Why did they let that happen? Wasn’t war inevitable? Did they presume we’d let them have the use of them?

The World at War episode on Himmler and the Final Solution just finished there on Yesterday. The series is invaluable because it was made only 27 years after the end of the war so it is has lots of coherent survivor testimony. The eye witness accounts of both Jewish survivors and German Army men from the camps is still staggering even after all I’ve read about the era.

12 Likes

I have that somewhere on DVD.

1 Like

It’s an astonishing piece of television.

I had just restarted it when it got pulled from Sky Box Sets.

1 Like

Likewise, it’s an amazing, accessible but very comprehensive series.
Olivier’s narration absolutely makes it.

1 Like

You couldn’t have an American narrating such a series. American narrators automatically subtract about 90% of the credibility away from any documentary.

2 Likes

Ireland would have been used for sure. Be it the North and/or the Free State.

Weren’t we neutral

The North wasn’t. But, imo, we would have stepped up or gave in America’s demands to be a base for their forces.

Sure look at all the troops going through Shannon Airport ffs!

1 Like