2016 Allianz National Hurling League

Itā€™s textbook management. I was the victim of it myself as a Gaelic footballer. The manager decided heā€™d had enough of my shit and put me out In a league game marking Dessie Farrell. I never played senior football again.

12 Likes

Also, why is Michael Rice still on the panel? it is fairly obvious that his best days are behind him, hastened by the nasty hand injury and knee injury from a few years back. He has his all ireland medals and isnā€™t going to see any gametime.

I canā€™t think of any other player who was a mainstay in an all ireland winning side who happily sat on the bench for years with little prospect of playing time. Most pack it in once they realise they arenā€™t needed. I have great time for Rice and always rated him highly but found this odd when I saw him named as a sub for the match today. I had assumed he was gone off the panel a couple of years and left the I/c scene gracefully

Thatā€™s some fucking stroke to pull.

2 Likes

I thought he was gone too.

Michael Nice is a model pro though so when he has scrap to pick from Iā€™d imagine Rice is a good lad to have around the place to keep standards up in training.

Only a theory.

Kilkenny conceded a combined 21-42 in their 2 games over the weekend. What a pack of hapless jokers.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure any manager would be delighted to have an experienced player like Rice around. But im surprised Rice has stuck around, little to be gained from it from his perspective. He has his medals won. Surely it would be of more benefit to go back and train with his club and raise the standard there

He could be one of these lads that gets institutionalised by the inter county scene ?

Stockholm syndrome?

Heā€™s a teacher. Sure what else would he be at?

5 Likes

2 Likes

Jackies free now to make millions off baseball

1 Like

If we ever see that KK goalie again weā€™ll know for sure that Cody has lost his edge.

He persisted with far worse than Murphy down thru the years. I doubt thereā€™ll be any changes there.

Podge Collinsā€™ work-rate and honesty made a difference too. At one stage, he was back in the left corner-back position. With the athleticism and pace in this team, Clareā€™s hurling yesterday was a form of ā€˜Totalā€™ hurling like the style espoused by the Dutch soccer team of the 1970s.

ā€œAs Cyril Farrell would say, ā€˜It was like throwing nuts to monkeysā€™.ā€

1 Like

League final on in Nowlan Park?

Of course. That roof isnā€™t going to be paid for my Dublin alone.

Anyone know where I can get a (free) link to the Sunday Game lads. Or any of the hurling/football highlights.

Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Final

Clare v Waterford, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 15.30 (TG4)

Referee: TBC

(E.T. if necessary)

Michael Rice has had about four serious leg injuries one after another since the hand injury, one of which was an almost life threatening haematoma. Technically, if youā€™re injured whilst in the squad you are rehabilitated in the squad.

Whoops, I posted this before I meant to:The management like him, when he was an under 21 he was also seriously injured (a theme, I know) and couldnā€™t play. During that season he carried the hurls and the water and helped out anyway he could so theyā€™ve always thought he had the best attitude.

2 Likes