Aviation Disasters

Who do you envisage will attack Ireland Tim?

That’s myopic thinking.

A Republic should be able to police its skies and seas.

Ireland can’t because we don’t spend the relatively small amount of money to do so. Instead we have the RAF trailing Russian planes down the West Coast. Irish Republic indeed.

Irish people have some bizarre notions about any type of defense spending. Seeing morons mentioning Iraq is bloody hilarious.

History moves on, the world order will naturally in time be upended again. The idea that we should have a Constitutional amendment to be neutral perpetually is tapped. In 100 years time who knows what the world will look like. This isn’t a bunch of neocons plotting Ireland invading foreign lands, it’s a bit of rational thinking.

It’s good that the current government have spent a bit more on it in the last year, at least allowing us to make some of the commitments outlined in the White Paper on Defence.

3 Likes

That’s actually a tremendous post. The oirish don’t do joined up thinking on any level

Do you know, I was just thinking that myself. @Tim_Riggins is making a lot of sense on a number of threads today. He’s a fella whose posts I really enjoy reading.

3 Likes

You’d find yourself nodding in agreement

1 Like

You would. I wouldn’t be a big fan of politicians, but if he was running for office I’d probably vote for him.

I certainly did. He can be an annoying cunt sometimes, but other times he can see the wood for the trees.

I would agree with the sentiment.

He can get to the nub of an argument quickly, splitting vested interests along the way.

The man is entirely un-electable though in a country such as this purely because of this ability.

Now if he could he could illustrate this sort of cunning to the electorate, he may have some chance.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/im-like-a-cat-with-nine-lives-michael-healyrae-cheats-death-for-a-second-time-35572175.html

Thanks for the kind words guys but if I went into politics I wouldn’t have the time to pursue my true passion, checking the television ratings of the big 4 field sports in Ireland.

10 Likes

A decent post I’ll give you that. I still don’t see where any threat exists.
Other than climate change, if you’re looking for the one thing that will totally disrupt the world order it’s that.

Brexit? Russian Expansionism? Population growth in the developing world and the struggle for food and water to feed it? International terrorism and the hardy annual, war in the Middle East?

I caught the first few minutes of what must have been a repeat of Michael Portillo’s Great Continental Journeys yesterday. He was going around Europe following the 1913 edition of George Bradshaw’s European guide. He made what is quite a prescient point for this discussion, that the guide’s usefulness would be upended in ways the publishers never thought possible in just a couple of years.

3 Likes

I’ve caught a few of those shows, tremendously enjoyable.

1 Like

:scream::pensive:

They tried to land at the lighthouse? They mistook BlackRock for Black Sod

If that’s authentic and I’m led to believe it is, it appears that’s what happened.

I’ve seen the route they traveled posted as well. It seems they were destined for Blackrock from the very start

Are we saying it’s as simple as a wrong address put into the presumably far more advanced helicopter equivalent of a sat nav?

Ya pretty much. The landing site at blackrock was far too small for a helicopter of that size.
It’s a serious process failure if something like that is able to happen.

A failure in the process of looking out the window as you’re landing.

2 Likes