Coronavirus - Here come the variants

No mate, they stated that they needed to scare people so they would go along with their proposals. That is disingenuous. I don’t need to tell you whose playbook that kind of tacticcomes out of.

Also, fear and the worry index have been the levers gone back to again and again for compliance. It’s actually not helpful.

2 Likes

Do you not agree that telling people the truth in December and January was automatically scary?

You’ve gone away from the point. The point was the ISAG guys explicitly saying they needed to scare people so that they would accept their proposals. That’s not cool. You know the types that use those kind of tactics.

1 Like

If the Gript story was broke by UCD politics society and related to right wing economists pushing arguments on austerity that “may or may not be true” but allign with “our way of thinking” people would be singing a different tune.

2 Likes

The next two weeks are critical…

2 Likes

But the truth was automatically scary. Very scary. And not telling the truth was even scarier. ISAG haven’t lied about the situation. They’ve simply told the truth. That’s all that’s needed.

I honestly don’t see how people don’t get this.

I mean with all messaging from the Government at the real crisis points, that was framed with a healthy dose of fear. It had to be. Because it was imperative that cases were reduced. But it was also the truth. Go back to the posts on this forum early on, from last January and February and March, these posts were laced with fear. Why? Because the dawning reality was scary.

But it wasn’t that.

@glasagusban

When Greta Thunberg was doing her school strikes and speeches in 2018 and 2019, was she attempting to scare people?

Of course she was.

Why? Because sometimes people need to be scared into realising the true extent of a problem.

The problem comes when people are whipped up into fear on matters which do not justify it, or in order to whip up hatred. Gript are experts at doing that, it’s their whole reason for existence.

As regards Covid, instilling a healthy dose of fear into people was absolutely justified. The alternative was to fiddle while Rome burns.

This isn’t like you mate to be honest. If a group sets out scare people in order to advance their agenda or convince people of their cause, that is wrong. And you would usually be the first to spot that.

You are correct that the situation was grave and frightening. Presenting it is scary in and of itself. But this is not what these guys said. They not set out to present sobering and frightening facts to people, they set out to scare people. There’s a big difference. Again, you’d usually be the first to spot it.

1 Like

But they told truths which were scary. That’s exactly what you want from people in the public eye who are advocating. They deserve praise for that, not criticism.

When Boris Johnson told the UK public in March 2020 that many people would die, he was deliberately scaring people. And he was a telling a truth. Did Gript go after him for doing that?

New poster @Cheasty is a breath of fresh air

Agree with him or not, it’s nice to have a debate, the OUUTF massive majority viewpoint here had gotten stale

3 Likes

With respect, you’re avoiding the point again mate. They said they needed to set out to scare people. That is an entirely different thing than presenting information that is scary.

In this case both are true. They did need to scare people and the truth was scary.

But the government also needed to scare people. Because how else can you get people to behave in a way that is necessary for public health?

Again, I simply fail to see any problem here. In fact it’s exactly how I would have advocated framing public communication.

Have Gript answered how they would have framed public communication in this scenario were they an advocacy group or the government?

Presumably it would have been “get the pints in!”?

Sure the only reason you think she’s a head banger is coz you don’t agree with her

Its a pity you werent articulate enough yourself to put your LIDTF viewpoint on here.

3 Likes

Definitely. I agree with some of his points disagree with others but at least he’ll provide balance. All the posters who make thousands of posts and think they’re right on everything and never change their mind were on the one side at least they have a LIDTF equivalent now to keep them honest.

1 Like

I’ve never been of that viewpoint, I’m somewhere on the middle, have been from day one,
There’s merits in most arguments I find, people are affected in different ways and become quite emotional

I like reading good debate, there hasn’t been any here on this topic in many months

1 Like

There’s no such thing as truth. Certainly not in science anyway, that’s not what science does.

While there’s merit to your argument we’ve continually seen the goal posts being moved all over the place when we were getting the ‘truth’.

You simply can’t deny there’s agendas among all the groups involved, then you’ve policitics with the other lot. Our lockdowns and restrictions were based on the fact that we’ve a woeful health service and inept political leaders… That has to be the starting point for any conversation, not science.

I gave up watching RTE last May… But how many alternative voices were sought for their nightly debates? How many alternative scientific Voices did the gov seek? I’m sorry to break it to you but science doesn’t deliver truth, it gives us evidence which is deciphered and interpretaed by men. Your truth is merely one opinion over another.

16 Likes

I can’t read your mind pal, but I think you’re being disingenious there saying you’re in the middle. There has been good debate on here for the last number of months maybe you havent been following it closely.

Even amongst the perceived OIUTF posters views on here, they diverge quite a good bit.

Agree with you re @Cheasty , its good to have him back.

One of the most interesting questions is why western governments didn’t take the threat seriously. The contrast between Asian countries that responded immediately and decisively long before being advised to by the WHO, and the western response is staggering. Europe, North America and South America utterly failed in their response, by March 15th when measures started to be taken, there were likely 2 million infected in the US and the same in Europe.

But you can’t attribute it all to Trump and Boris, as the answer to this question isn’t political ideology. Liberal and conservative governments were all guilty of the same inaction. The leading advisors in the US held a meeting in Colorado in mid February and Fauci was adamant that this was nowhere near the threat of flu and the American public should not take it seriously. He was on TV saying the same thing a week later, and resisted any efforts to shut down travel. All of the major US news outlets were warning not to take the threat seriously, the flu was worse. How did they fail to notice how Asia was responding?

I think the failure was mainly due to fear of being wrong, fear of losing credibility, fear of losing the next election, fear of public opinion turning against them. It needed a war time response, with generals in charge, and instead we have a bunch of academics who wanted everything modelled and proven before taking action. Looking back on it Mike Ryan was right in his impassioned speech calling for decisive action in early March, but nobody in the west was listening. Or maybe they knew at that point it was already too late.

It’s been a monumental cluster fuck.