Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

The two weeks to flatten the curve was the thin end of the wedge. If you’d have mentioned bio weapons, passports, compulsory vaccinations, rolling lockdowns and hundreds of millions spent on testing, lads like @balbec would have been drolly muttering something about tin foil hats.

In terms of reducing the numbers being hospitalized? Yes, agreed, but overwhelmingly that’s the vulnerable groups, so the threat to the public health system is greatly reduced once those groups are fully vaccinated. The holdouts in the vulnerable groups are the real problem as those are the ones largely being hospitalized.

But hospitalisations are no longer overwhelmingly the vulnerable groups.

And the current rate of hospitalisations in the UK is a problem.

So everybody needs to get vaccinated really.

Governments would never have imagined how easily the population would submit to draconian restrictions of civil liberties (which i might add I think were reasonable at the time). They expected to need the army on the streets etc. As it was everyone submitted without much a whimper.

Now you again the vast majority of people have no issue with having the right to eat and drink inside restricted. Vaccine passports are going to be here indefinitely. Who’s to say what the next required vaccine will be?

You saw the power grab post 9/11, I think we could see something very similar from here.

2 Likes

Vaccine passports will be a permanent measure. Thats a fact.

Potentially the unvaxxed could lose their jobs etc. This is a very dangerous precedent.

2 Likes

Well, fair enough. I acknowledge that comment.

I just happen to think, along with the majority of rational people, this perspective is for the birds and is even more so in light of Delta variant.

Let us remember that you scoffed at the very notion of variants etc. Now Delta is here and making wreck. So Covid-19 is even more extremely unlike flu.

The situation is terrible and the only way out is mass vaccination, followed by booster jabs, as quick as ever the process can be done. Everyone from 12/13 up will need to be vaccinated – for everyone’s sake, not for any one individual’s sake.

Terrorism is not an airborne virus, no more than obesity is.

Do you have a breakdown of current hospitalizations in the UK by age group?

There are charts for age groups about half way down on this page. Figures are per 100k of population rather than than percentages. Older groups are still over represented but the situation is more broadly spread than before.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/hospitals#hospital-admissions-by-age

1 Like

I’d say the vast majority of people don’t partake of indoor hospitality on a regular enough basis to lose their shit over it being restricted for a period of time.

1 Like

You won’t see the fat end of the wedge coming before it lands on you

1 Like

RTE might mention Florida and Texas now

Aye…how did the 2 weeks to flatten the curve turn out. You’ll have your passport, you’ll take whatever your betters decide is best and anyone who objects will be a second class citizen. It’ll be a nice little earner and insurance companies, banks and investors will all have their cut. You’re some fool if you think otherwise

There’s no fool like an old fool.

People scoff and laugh but most people and societies concede power easily. A handful of Nazis in the 1920s created the Third Reich.

Stories from travellers in the third Reich is a great book to describe the soft erosion of liberty - like a tide coming in slowly and then apparently suddenly - nobody notices until it’s too late.

2 Likes

Who are the equivalent of the Nazi party in this society?

2 Likes

I’m not sure there’s a direct equivalent. It’s more that people go with the flow and do what’s easy for their day to day lives and don’t cause a fuss.

Before this you’d ask yourself how come nobody shouted stop about Catholic Church abuse etc and then you realise nobody does because once you go against consensus you are a pariah and nowadays are cancelled so you keep quiet and go about and mind your business and survive

1 Like

Sure we don’t have any political party founded directly from the support of fascism.

The unvaxxed should be segregated from society and not allowed to breed. Think of all the stupidity we’ll wipe out.

Travellers were in the Third Reich? The McDonaghs?