Coronavirus Thread (sponsored by Anthony Fauci & Pfizer) (Part 5)

Wouldn’t you think UEFA and the British Horse Racing Board - and the British Government of course - are the real people to blame?

Poster @Dziekanowski had a very astute reading of it at the time.

1 Like

Jesus F. Christ. 8% of 11-16 year olds infected in one go.

Covid flows through the path of least resistance.

Mentally double underline previous sentence.

This is why all age groups down to 0 need to be vaccinated. If we do that, there a chance we might be done with it. If we’re lucky.

The science and the reality shows that vaccines largely stop infection. And you can’t have transmission if you don’t have infection.

So only the most semantic and pedantic reading of the concept of transmission would say that vaccines don’t have a massively beneficial effect in terms of stopping transmission.

You’ve mixed up age and school year here. Year 7-11 would be 11/12-16/17 years of age. Anyone know what age kids they are vaccinating in England?

Yeah I realised that before you posted and edited it. It’s 11/12 years of age to 16/17 years of age.

The deadly Delta variant has peaked

It’s almost certainly bottoming out before rising again.

Screenshot (427)

This is cast iron real world evidence that in a no restrictions environment it is the unvaccinated who drive virus spread.

The debate about this is over.

What year is that from? Or copy and paste from 2013? 2014? 2015? 16 17 or 18?

Hard to take anything on twitter at face value, but interesting none the less.

5 Likes

Patrick Vallance was the Chief Scientific Advisor to a UK Government which mounted one of the developed world’s worst policy responses. Of course he wants to keep science and politics separate, because to do so absolves him from any blame whatsoever for that appalling policy response, which continues today.

The world doesn’t work like that.

You use science to inform policy responses - and policy responses to, oh, the worst pandemic in a century, have to be grounded in morals. The UK’s policies were not, which is why they have predictably been an utter disaster.

In the real world Vallance has no right to claim to be a dispassionate, blameless observer of the disastrous policies he was a key part of.

Others – such as Independent SAGE – used science to advocate for a moral policy response. What use is science if we do not use it to inform policy responses that actually value lives – rather than give a fake veneer of “legitimacy” to appalling, unscientific policy responses which were designed to cut corners because of the desperation of an appalling government?

Vallance allowed science to be corrupted for dastardly political ends by the Johnson Government. That was a nakedly political act in itself.

That’s funny. Calling themselves independent sage is a bit like the military calling themselves the ministry of peace. The level of fuckery is quite remarkable. You’ve an extremist dubious group of inscrutable behavioural scientists being marshalled by an even more dubious inscrutable group. Its hard to believe that the alleged tension is real and that the moves aren’t being choreographed.

1 Like

If nothing else, the pandemic has shown how important the U.K. are globally. Indy SAGE helped spawn other organisations like ISAG here who followed the same tactics.

I think it comes down to how well the U.K. media do in the online area. The Guardian, Daily Mail and BBC are probably more widely read globally than the New York Times and CNN. The US are relentlessly self involved so their coverage doesn’t focus enough on global matters to interest a wider audience. The Brits are also self involved but keep enough of an eye on the globe so attract those audiences in. And that audience are then treated to U.K. debates on policies. It’s amazing how disproportionately U.K. actions during the pandemic have been looked at abroad. From the get go it’s all been a bit OTT.

Positive things from the U.K. included Public Health England, and who much like the rest of the “official” U.K. scientific community, iSAGE fell out with.

1 Like

Sees Cheasty post, nods heads scrolls past man shouting at cloud.

4 Likes

Fair to say Regina doesn’t have much faith in the vaccine

Zero Coviders having a normal one

1 Like

Interesting article. This issue has been about perception and ‘narrative’ from the start. In Ireland it’s even easier for that ‘public mood’ to be controlled than Britain too. That’s a very interesting point about media not changing anyone’s mind but it is able to shape what people think other people think. In my head I think a lot of people are worried about covid because I’ve seen surveys etc but I have yet to meet one single person under the age of 60 (and even very few over it) in the last 12 months who has told me they’re worried or appeared to be tempering their behaviour in the slightest.