Decent Journalism

Excellent article as usual by Una Mullally.

She’s a top, top columnist.

2 Likes

+1

The right wing snowflakes wont like it though

1 Like

A Lesbian defending a Lesbian sport and the TFK Lesbian applauding it. How predictable. This wan is such a heterophobe she should be sacked from the IT.

Pampers McNulty = Anti-free speech snowflake

1 Like

I take offence to that name calling.

3 Likes

:smile:

:grin:

Where’s the contradiction there?

Oooofffttt

You’ve been hoisted by your own petard here, mate.

On your own petard

Not mine, @Sidney 's.

1 Like

I’m not sure ‘on’ is correct here, mate…

There’s no contradiction whatsoever in anything referenced.

It is in fact anti-sexist to be critical of the standard of women’s sport, as I have been regularly, particularly in relation to women’s field sports. The sexist argument is to say “the standard is as good as the men’s game” or “the women train just as hard as the men” when clearly neither are anywhere near the case in these sports. That would be incredibly patronising and it’s a viewpoint that is unfortunately the dominant one in sports media.

Mullally’s column references David Corkery’s comment about how women should not be involved in any sport which is rough or physical, which is clearly nonsense, and undoubtedly sexist.

1 Like

You’re actually right, mate.

I withdraw my previous post.

Indeed. I wrote the following last year. Far from the patronising, plamasing tokenism of the likes of Des Cahill, it’s a harsh but fair analysis of the standard of women’s GAA which actually takes the games and their potential seriously rather than treating them as a sporting charity case about which no criticism should be allowed.

Women’s GAA is crap.

The pace of the games is incredibly slow, the fitness isn’t very good, the skills are awful - the players find it difficult to solo the ball, they can’t shoot, they keep dropping the ball. Players more often than not panic when in possession. They don’t appear to have much tactical nous or spatial awareness you regularly see passes aimed at where the target recipient is rather than the position they should be expected to run into. Women’s GAA players do not train just as hard as men, and it shows, so let’s stop hearing that they do.

The coverage of the games is also incredibly patronising - it’s similar to what you get for the Paralympics - pretty much no criticism is ever allowed of either camogie or women’s Gaelic football and “the standard” is always praised, even if it’s really, really bad, as it was today, and constant references are made to how much the games are “growing”.

The camogie and women’s football associations themselves are painted as forward thinking even though ridiculous situations often crop up on their watch, like in the camogie last year when they changed the rules to have a play-off and then made Dublin play the next day (possibly two days, can’t remember for sure) after winning the play-off.

The countdown clock is a really poor system, is far too open to time wasting and rewards cynical fouls towards the end of the game.

That point that was given as a wide today was farcical. Why was HawkEye not used?

Until the coverage stops being patronising and brushing the poor standard under the carpet women’s GAA cannot expect to be taken in any way seriously as proper sport.

Women’s tennis, gymnastics, athletics and probably a few other individual sports can be taken seriously. Team sports like hockey and basketball have women’s games that can be taken seriously. Even a physical sport like rugby (certainly the 7s at the Olympics and the last 15 a side World Cup) contains players who look like genuine athletes with genuine skill. These sports have women that can reasonably be called elite. Women’s GAA contains neither proper athletes nor proper skill. It’s miles away from being able to call itself “elite”.

Obviously there’s always going to be a massive gap between it and men’s hurling and football but what’s on show year after year is undoubtedly a poor product compared to what it could be.

Sidney described female sports players as appearing to be constipated playing team sports.

He also described it as “PC gone mad” that a female team could win Team of the Year. Team of the year has nothing to do with physical differences between males and females.

Anyone taking a cursory glance of his posts can tell you what he is. A vile sexist.

Luckily there’s people like myself and Una Mulally who operate on a higher plane to the likes of Sidney.

no wonder you cant find a girlfriend.

1 Like

Or a job