Joe Duffy's Liveline

How many rounds of IVF would the state need to pay for to surpass the total spend on saving lives? A few million rounds of IVF annually??

What?

What?

You’re looking for a number that only the HSE know?

What?

I think you’ve ayte one too many todged biscuits at this stage.

It’s probably obvious from my stance above but I’ve been through this route. Most of my friends don’t know, as it really was none of their business. I’m sure a few figured it out. We were in the category of getting on a bit (my Mrs is five years older than me) and waited until we felt were a little more secure financially (see above comment from @Aertel220) to try to start a family. After maybe six months of lots of riding, there was no joy on that front. We went to the doctors who referred us to a fertility clinic. My Mrs was still under 40 and presumed it was an issue from my side (I previously outlined how I almost lost a ball) but lo and behold, the tests came back and everything was spot on with mine. So, the drives up and down to the clinic in Cork started. The wife injecting herself every night, etc.

Round 1ish: We didn’t go through the full round as they felt there wasn’t enough eggs. As a result we didn’t pay the 5kish, more like 1k.
Round 2: odds didn’t look good. Went through with it. Mrs got pregnant. We were over the moon. Miscarried.
Round 3: probably pushed this one too quick after 2. Odds looked much better. Way more eggs etc. Didn’t work.
Round 4: our last shot at it. Implanted two embryos. Initial scans showed twins. It was if we had won the lotto. We would have loved two kids and we felt we were in bonus territory. Lost one. The one that survived is the greatest thing that ever happened to me. If it didn’t work, we were done with it. I couldn’t put my wife through it again. We were exploring the option of fostering as a long term opportunity to have some children in our lives.

I can’t go through the financials, but I think it was over €20k in the end between everything. All our savings for a house were gone. My parents gave us money for the last round. Our wonderful daughter would not be here today if it wasn’t for them.

I don’t want to get into this anymore tbh. I feel I’ve shared too much. I’m probably a bit emotional about it, and I appreciate the other perspectives on not supporting people in similar situations.

55 Likes

Class post

1 Like

Yeah I’d imagine the torment and finances involved after a couple of failed attempts would be extremely challenging. I’ll amend that point to inconsiderate.

1 Like

Ah lovely. Fair fucks to the folks. They propably had to wrap the matchday sambos in old newspaper for a year or two but definitely worth it. A lovely story.

Great post. :clap:t2:

Well done :clap:

Beautiful/heartbreaking post
Up Tipp :blue_heart: :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Fair play. Congrats. A child born out of love and want and endeavour. As good a start as anyone could wish for.

1 Like

Delighted it worked out for ye pal. A lucky child to be born into such a household

1 Like

Fair play to you kid

Fair play, know plenty similar to yourself only those that have gone through it really knows what it’s like, rest of us can only imagine.

Nice one pal, keep on keeping on

Congratulations buck! That is a great post. Fair play for sharing. I have a friend who went through a similar experience. It’s not just a journey, it’s almost a quest. She had similar attempts/results and thankfully was successfully when she ended up going to Spain for treatment.
Money blurs everything. The cost puts so much pressure on the need for success. When it doesn’t succeed it puts so much pressure on the hopeful couple and their relationship. Like you, sacrifices are made.
It is good that there is some help available to these couples. It is only right I feel. Congratulations again

1 Like

Fair play @caulifloweredneanderthal - great post. Glad it all worked out for you.

The state wastes an enormous amount of money everywhere you look but putting money towards this scheme is definitely something worthwhile.

Someone very close to me had the same experience. Desperate for kids, nothing happening, tests, told she probably wouldn’t be able to conceive, tears, IVF Round 1, no joy, IVF Round 2, miscarriage, IVF Round 3, miscarriage, tears, depression, unable to work or function for a few months with the fallout, IVF Round 4 - Hallelujah. Perfectly healthy little baby born, the most loved child imaginable.

Then, lo and behold, got pregnant naturally two years later and another healthy, happy child. Don’t even want to think about the financial cost in total but pales into the joy it has given both sets of families and friends.

13 Likes