Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

And Hanley?

Thatā€™s a pity about McNamara I thought he was a very promising option to put Quaid under pressure. Quaidā€™s puck outs are poor enough but Hennessey isnā€™t the solution.

Agree and agree, I was thinking McNamara would overtake Quaid this year if not next at the rate he was going.

We donā€™t have shedloads of half-backs or half-forwards, theyā€™re both lines we are struggling to fill with the right people.

At half-back, we have a few decent defensive players who are good in the air but donā€™t even try to help their forwards with the type of ball they give, or we have nice hurlers who can be too easily beaten in the air or run past.

In the forwards, ideally you want fellas who can at the very least stop their opposite man winning the ball cleanly, and who will work their socks off to scrap for possession and hassle half-backs in possession. When they have the ball, ideally they can both take a score well and also take on their men and go past them.

Weā€™ve got a couple of players who could do a job in either line, but itā€™s where they would be most useful that we need to find out.

Are we really that low?

Itā€™s the very basic requirement set out mate and something that hasnā€™t always been evident in Limerick hurlers, some of whom have been championed here recently. Itā€™s often the difference between teams.

Weā€™d all love to have fellas who pluck every ball cleanly but even the very best donā€™t do that all the time. I feel you donā€™t catch it clean, you have to stop them doing it too. You make it a real battle, and you make sure you have the support so that you can win those.

I think that was very noticeable in the League semi-final against Galway. The Galway forwards made it so difficult for our backs even when our backs were on top. Whereas their backs came out way too easily and were able to give handy passes. Think David Burke scored a four or five points from those situations.

1 Like

In fairness to Kiely he made some decisive moves to sort this out but was hampered by injuries and decline in form from some. Identified fairly early that it was going to be Hannon or Hickey at 6, Hannon worked out well as did Hickey moving to half back. Good move.

Tried hard with Hegarty and Lynch at 11 with not so great results. There arenā€™t outstanding candidates still and it depends a bit on what type of game weā€™re playing, if we know that. Nash Lynch and Downes are possibles but Hayes probably ticks the most boxes all round.

Canā€™t remember who got most league games at full back but ultimately we are waiting for English to overtake Mccarthy. Could be another year of that i think, McCarthy is underappreciated.

Full forward is completely up for grabs at this stage, thereā€™s a few options but Dowling should be full forward.

Edit: forgot midfield This was one held back by injuries, Browne not right most of the season and WOD got injured when it looked like he might make a go of it. Pat Ryan and O`Donovan didnā€™t convince fully yet and jimbob was in decline. Browne again if back to his best with maybe cian Lynch Oā€™Donoghue or Oā€™Donovan to partner.

1 Like

THats a load of bolox. A lad that canā€™t hurl isnā€™t worth buttons to you. Liemricks biggest mistake is failing to coach And manage our most talented players to work hard.

2 Likes

Joe canning was one of the laziest players around Off the ball. Good management has turned him around. All those Galway players are outstanding hurlers. Mansion and whelan didnā€™t chase around or work like they do now at minor level.

If Flanagan gets a good run And stays interested heā€™s the most talented limerick underage hurler Iā€™ve seen since shaughs. Iā€™d have colin Ryan and Casey either side of him. Hayes, barry Nash and hegarty probably be the half forward line.

1 Like

I would pay a few buttons and throw in a snack bar for a Bonner Maher in Limerick.

Iā€™d find room for Colin Ryan in any championship team. You know heā€™ll never buckle when the going gets tough.

Senior is a different ballgame to u-21 obviously but he won us that U-21 Munster final in Ennis in 2015. Fought and scraped for everything that went in, high or low, and was involved in about seven or eight scores. When we were under the cosh he was the one lad who didnā€™t wilt.

Would agree with the comments about nailing down the spine of the team. To be fair itā€™s not as paramount at 11 and 14 with constant rotation in the forwards.

Browne has been subdued the last few years, really need him back in form. Na Piarsaighā€™s run has messed up the opportunity to look at WOD again and give him a chance to stake a claim.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why Kyle hayes will spend the rest of his career in the half forward line.

Colin Ryan??? That name means nothing to me.

Heā€™s the lad that walked all over some no mark from cork in munster under 21 final in August.

2 Likes

Did he? Such a pity that the asterisk looms large over that result

Nope thereā€™s no asterisk just the final score boss.

Well itā€™s a pity nonetheless that he had a no mark to walk all over when he could have tested himself against a decent player

1 Like

All those lads are well able to hurl, itā€™s not as if Iā€™m suggesting we put in a few hard-working donkeys.

Itā€™s also not purely work rate though, itā€™s the quality of the work they are doing & how consistently they are involved. And I have no problem with coaching players to work harder, in fact, I would assume that is happening.

If Seamus Flanagan stays injury free he has a great chance of playing a key role through the league. Agreed heā€™s very talented and it would be a huge plus if he went well before the Na Piarsaigh lads are back. One would imagine heā€™ll stay focused once heā€™s starting and fit.