Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

Everyone has a plan til they are punched in the face

10 Likes

Hego the hammer.

The crown will hang heavy on Carey the younger come Sunday

There’s no doubt about it, the Green Machine is creaking. Sure why wouldn’t it missing the best player in the country and also Peter Casey. The road to 3 in a row is paved with pitfalls. We’ve reached the final hurdle but there’s no ignoring the ratlles and the splutters. If anything, it just shows the achievement in getting to 70 minutes away from immortality. 70 minutes from Greatness.

I think we will face our greatest challenge yet on Sunday. I think this is a Kilkenny team that have been building towards this and the jigsaw pieces are starting to come together. They have the workrate and physical presence to match us and the individual star power to hurt us. Yes, we’re a far better team, obviously, but this is the test. If you look at Kilkennys run they’ve timed it to perfection. Reid, Cody, Mullen are 3 excellent forwards and they’ve the right mix of workers in their forward line too to compliment that.

We won’t be over powering them like we’ve done with others. Kilkenny won’t fold like a cheap tent in the face of our physicality like Tipp, Waterford and Cork have done in recent years.

Match Ups wise…Lawlor on Gillane (talk of putting Butler on Gillane is music to my ears, it’d be a big mistake). Quality of the delivery in is key if Lawlor picks up Gillane, it has to be precise and out to the side to AG’s advantage. I think Limerick can be less fussy with the ball in if it’s Butler picking Gillane, just get it fuckin in there, I think AG would destroy Butler.

If you’re KK you should be hoping Butler will pick up Flanagan because you’ve some chance of Lawlor holding AG and now you need Butler to hold Flanagan. However I think he may struggle with Seamie’s physicality and intelligence of movement. TK and Clare made it easy enough for Butler to do the job he did the last day. It won’t be as easy hold Flanagan. There was similar talk about Rory Hayes before the Munster Final and look how that went. Flanagan is really powerful and strong and outstanding at getting out in front. If Butler tries holding him like he was holding TK v Clare he’ll want to be getting a few early nights and a big breakfast into him because Seamie will fuck him upside down like a rag doll, Cathal Malone was at that at one stage and he’s 6ft whatever and Flanagan only fired him upside down like he was a sack of shit. I think Seamie will have a big influence on Sunday.

Tommy Walsh on Mulcahy…we know what we will get from Mul. He’ll set the tone and force turnovers without being a huge threat from play usually in recent times but I think I read that Tommy Walsh was the player who has lost most possessions via turnovers this year. You can be 100% garaunteed Limerick and Mulcahy are aware of this. Video footage of him being turned over has been analysed in depth to look for certain patterns or triggers and I would not be one bit surprised to see Mulcahy really go after that aspect this Sunday. Turnovers by forwards = goal chances…Then you’ll have Peter Casey coming in there with 15 to go.

Will they put Deegan following Hegarty? It makes sense to but Hego could pull and drag him way out which leaves so much space for those Gillane and Flanagan runs…again I’m not sure if KK can afford to do that.

I think Richie Reid is all kinds of wrong for Kyle Hayes and a KK midfielder will have to do the necessary picking up job there, probably Conor Browne? It could free up a bit of room for Darragh Donovan to get on the ball, which again will help in getting Gillane and Flanagan the service they need.

Tom Morrissey picked up by Mikey Carey…I think Tom could do well in that duel. Carey is quick and a nice hurler but physically I’m not sure if he’s come up against anyone that will test him as much as Tom. Morrissey has always performed when we need him to most and I back him to do it again on Sunday.

Id worry about Mullen dropping into midfield as he has the ability to score from out there and we’ve coughed up a lot of scoring opportunities from out there this year. Cannot afford to do that on Sunday. Especially because I think WOD will naturally try and cover in front of TJ Reid who I presume they’ll move between centre forward and the wing on Dan Morrissey and a spell at the edge of the square where Finn will probably pick him up.

If I was Cody I’d be looking at putting Eoin Cody out on Byrnes for a spell at some point

I think Limerick will shade a humdinger by 3. Something like 1-24 to 1-21. Nip and tuck the whole way but you simply couldn’t back against these lads down the home straight. The loss of Lynch is colossal and we’re just not as good a team without him but champions find a way and these boys are true champions and they’ll find a way.

18 Likes

I forgot to mention…these lads owe us absolutely nothing. We may very well be beaten on Sunday, I’d rate our chances of winning at 55%, maybe 60% at best. It wouldn’t be a surprise to anyone in Limerick given the journey we’ve been on and the bodies missing/only coming back. But if we are beaten, it won’t sadden me or sicken me too much. We’ve been spoilt rotten by this group and we’ve had some journey with them. A 3-in-a-row would be a fitting achievement for them but that’s not how these things work.

What will be, will be.

11 Likes

Jesus mate, what the fuck?!!!

They’ll blame Hego if it isn’t a sell out

1 Like

49,473 from Limerick
25,836 from KK
4,298 neutral

Phew. Thought when you were writing war and piece above you had forgotten the twee bullshit but no. You just dropped it into a separate post for maximum likes gathering. You listened in school alright

Small story alert :point_up::point_up:

Hon ta Fuck @Breaking_my_balls, you sing that one lovely tbf

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/warning-gaa-fans-ahead-croke-24476588

Looking forward to this as a neutral crying out for a good ferocious physical encounter
Maybe our fuckin “lapsy pas” might get a few hints and shagging man up

Honestly think after this year we’re fucked in Cork
Should have got an outsider to manage
Not another yes man county board man

For the size and amount of hurling clubs in tbe county it can’t be jack of talent
Has to be managerial/ attitude/ lack of work ethic/ S and C/self belief

2 Likes

Cork man finds Cork angle shocker

1 Like

A fella I knew in Limerick used to use the expression “lapsy pa” when he had a sore arse from shitting too much / Ghandis revenge…

What’s the meaning of it in Cork? I never heard it used since until I read your post now.

Getting an unreal amount of ‘best of luck’ messages from work colleagues this week who are from Clare, Tipp and Cork. We will try to do Munster hurling proud.

If it’s to be Kilkenny who are to derail us, so be it. No shame in losing to a great manager and county like that, if that’s what transpires.

3 Likes

Best of luck on Sunday pal. Hope the squad and management team do your county and province proud and may the best team win.

3 Likes

Best of luck, pal.

May we have a good manly game of hurling and may the best team win.

4 Likes

What would ye Tipp cunts know about it? No business anywhere near 3 in a row conversations

15 Likes

Best of luck v New Zealand at the weekend mate

5 Likes