Lockdown 2021 Run Challenge

Iā€™m going out tomorrow with a very tenured trail runner so Iā€™ll see what they use. They mentioned something that goes over their shoulders.

If youā€™re going out on the mountains or deep into trails for a few hours youā€™d be as well off looking at a hydration pack
Just get the most expensive one you can find, thatā€™s a good tactic

2 Likes

Here I was thinking that the flipbelt would be the answer to all my problemsā€¦

A hat tip to @caulifloweredneanderthal though - those Decathlon trail shorts are excellent, and not just for trails.

1 Like

I use a hydration vest. Two soft flasks in the front pockets

or alternatively known as moobs :smiley:

:rofl::rofl:

I saw a chap running with one of these type of yokes last week. It was like part GPS system, part baby carrier. Seemed to have straps that went over the arm and then a buckle across the chest. A little compartment on the front then and he was dipping into it for food and drink.

Edit: It was probably one of these hydration vests. Like all this stuff, Iā€™ll laugh at it and mock it and end up buying one a few months later.

5 Likes

In true TFK style everyone is on the fence :laughing:

Iā€™ll drink a clatter of cans tomorrow night and confirm the structure for the 10 mile challenge.

3 Likes

This is the one I use. I probably would use it less than ten times a year on hill runs of 20km+. I actually brought it with me the other day and just used one flask, put my phone in the other pocket (the two photos I took helped me get 20 ā€˜likesā€™ on this thread) and put my running jacket in the back. I had a little bit of food stashed in case, but I reckon I only ended up drinking about 200ml of water

1 Like

Running a few calculations here (excuse the pun).

If I did 5km at 4.52/km the other day which was completely emptying the tank & 10km the week before at 5.11/km then whatā€™s a realistic target for 10 miles/16.1km on the May bank holiday weekend?

Bearing in mind Iā€™ve never run that far before & yesterdayā€™s 11.25km was my longest ever run to date, but Iā€™ve another 3 weeksā€™ training.

Would something like 5.20/km/85 minutes be realistic, too ambitious, too conservative?

Went into the woods today for a changeā€¦ Lovely bit of elevation after my obligatory downhill startā€¦ Had to walk fora few seconds half way up. Completely different fitness , fair play to the lads who run them regularly.

I havenā€™t logged in here in a few days and missed this poll, also missed a seismic forum moment with @Bandageā€™s latest effort, savage running mate.

Anyways I see the poll was a tie - I would have voted for the individual option if Iā€™d seen it in case that affects your IPA-soaked decision. They didnā€™t call it The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner for nathinā€™.

Gonna have a first cut at the 10 mile tomorrow I think. It will be the furthest Iā€™ve ever ran, the pace will be filed under ā€œcautiousā€.

1 Like

Longest run in a very long time. 11 odd mins of stops along the way too to take in some views. Was half crippled towards the end and then hit about 500m or lovely surface and was bouncing. Itā€™s unreal how the surface can make such a difference.

17 Likes

You couldnā€™t ask more.

If you look up McMillan calculator itā€™ll give you a rough idea of what your times should be. Not always accurate when your going up in distance especially if you havenā€™t ran the distance before. Conservative approach is probably best and donā€™t worry about the time. Better to be able to pick it up at the end than starting off too fast and ended up walking after 7 or 8 miles. No harm to try and do 8 or 9 miles a couple of weeks before at a very easy pace.

1 Like

@Bandage I was just trying to figure out the same thing here - found the below:

https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php

Popped in my 5km and 10km times and itā€™s telling me I should be going for around 4:50 min/km pace, around 1hr 18 mins total. Now Iā€™ll definitely pull back on that a little as (a) Iā€™ve never run that distance before and (b) I did a fast(ish) 5km on Thursday.

1 Like

Lovely hurling! Iā€™ve another 700m of elevation lined up for the morning apparently. Wonā€™t see a bit of forestry track. All mountain and about 500 metres of actual road. Will be revisiting the nasty descent that I twisted my ankle on 5/6 weeks ago.

1 Like

My feeling is that you should aim for 1:30 as a minimum, Iā€™d say you would be closer to 1:25.
For a distance like that it would be advisable to do at least that in training, so build up week by week extending your longest run,
Youā€™ll be comfortable enough at that pace but itā€™ll get very tough.

1 Like

Right lads, Iā€™m gonna try give this a shot in the easiest way possible. Iā€™m gonna give each person an individual time target and when Iā€™ve figured that out I may try and sort some groups. Iā€™m choosing an individual time target as I think the bandā€™s will be too big.

The time target will be based on the 5k and/or 10k run for this year. To help me put it together, could each of you post up your average pace for the 5k and 10k you posted here? Iā€™ll use the McMillan guide or some other one to figure out a 10 mile target pace and time. (@Bandage you can use your 5k pace from this week)

Iā€™ve a few training plans I used to use that I might fire up too for lads who havenā€™t got to this distance before if thatā€™s helpful. Trying to avoid lads picking up injuries from over running.

If youā€™ve any objections, then youā€™re more than happy to take over the running of it :crazy_face:

1 Like

4.05 per km for both 5km and 10km for me anyway horse, best of luck with it.

1 Like