Russia Vs Ukraine (Part 1)

Didn’t know Tossy was Russian.

Maybe I’m naive but I can’t believe what cunts the Russians (Putin) are. I was reasonably taken in by him these past 15 or so years that he was a rational sort of business centric leader but this whole thing and who he is targeting with bombings is just reprehensible. Oliver Stone has quite a bit of egg on his face trying to dress Putin up as a normal misguided bloke in that feature he did on him a few years ago.

Fair play to anyone registering to take in refugees to their home and I don’t mean that glibly. My wife and I have seriously discussed this over the last two weeks and are still undecided because it is a huge decision to make. On the one hand we both have very busy jobs and a young family and can’t seem to find 30mins of free time every day to ourselves so to take on a stranger with their kids and likely no English and totally dependent on you for however long it is a big thing to throw into the mix. Also where we are living is within walking distance of nothing of use to a refugee unless they like long walks. You can’t walk to public transport or shops from here. On the other hand we both feel compelled on a human level to help someone thrown on the scrapheap whose life has been upended through no fault of their own and we are blessed that right now we are fortunate enough to have the resources and space to take on a few more people. Time and our physical isolation I suppose is what is holding us back at the moment, would be interested in other peoples viewpoints who have registered to be hosts.

Another thing to consider, but you would be unlucky if it happened to you and I’m sure the state would help you out if it came to pass, but you could end up taking in a head case or a fraud. There will be no vetting of these people coming through our borders in waves. This wouldn’t hold me back per say as I think it would be in the minority of cases but anyone coming in they will be dealing with post traumatic stress at a minimum and especially kids won’t be able to process what they have been through in just a handful of weeks. Anyone opening their doors you have my utmost admiration.

15 Likes

Mentioned it here my mother had registered. The only thing they have is space and 3 grand spare rooms that someone would be happy to stay in. They live in the countryside 4 miles walk to the nearest town. No bus to a school would need a spin.

Both are busy enough and have usual wear and tear issues that need semi regular medical appts etc… In short I’d say they are typical of the type of Irish person who has applied, doing it for all the right reasons but the practicalities and logistics haven’t been thought about at all

I heard someone mention in relation to war the other day that amateurs talk about war strategy. The professionals talk about logistics. My mother hasn’t thought about the logistics I hope someone will

5 Likes

Its like a conversation I’ve being having with my wife. We’ve a spare room but are both working with kids in school and living in a rural location. She doesn’t want to whereas I do. She’s right it’s not ideal but in my view nothing about this is.
We might be a good match for someone but probably not for the majority of refugees.

4 Likes

Yeah like us here the heart is in the right place but logistically it’s not quite right, and I’m not looking for an excuse it’s quite the opposite, just being pragmatic. My parents are also considering it and logistically their house would be perfect being walking distance to a town. The downside is they have two spare bedrooms which would likely fill up and with two kids who are living away and have gave them grandchildren it would cut off an outlet for either family to stay over with them for the short-medium term. They are not thinking that way though, my mother would not be one to think rationally. And I fear for them with being pensioners they are only making ends meet themselves as it is, and with the price of fuel and heating rising it’s not getting easier. I mean would the people you take in be subsidised to any extent by the government for folk like my parents who want to help but only have the roof and not necessarily the means? And this could be a commitment that goes well beyond one year.

3 Likes

A friend of my wife took in a family (Cashel area) but she did have some sort of connection to Ukrainian woman who was already working here, so perhaps they were allocated to her via them.

I’ve 2 spare bedrooms in my house and they’re staying that way.

No guilt about it either.

Where was all this goodwill for the homeless all along?

Did any of ye cunts take in misfortunate people from the direct provison centres?

1 Like

This is different. We’re about to be inundated.

The homeless here weren’t being bombed out of their homes with their kids you imbecile.

12 Likes

I don’t see how it is mate. With regards to eastern european people - I’ve worked with them all my adult life and they’ve 100% positively added to the country. I have savage time for people from Poland all the way to Russia.

Sadly the war in Ukraine isn’t the only one going on in the world at the moment is my point.

We’re going to take in approx 100,000 war refugees in short order. That’s a logistical nightmare. The only way we will have capacity is if we open our homes to them.

5 Likes

Similar to yourself smark, we’re rural and probably wont suit. But at the same time, it could suit someone who needs it and would work for them. What helps is the room we have is in a separate building and is fully functional without needing anything in the house, so in the evenings and weekends if taken on, theyd have full use of it without the hassle of having to share a house with us, that theyd have their own space and some aspect of normality. So in that regards, it works. But the rural aspect is most likely a step too far, but you never know. Plenty of decent people out there wanting to help which is a good thing.

As for further comments calling people cunts for wanting to open their homes to people fleeing a war, I’m a longtime donor to the south east Simon community and my wife volunteers with a homeless group in Wexford, not that it makes any difference whatsoever and this bulshit type of whataboutery masks somes peoples real thoughts on immigrants here. Not everyone is a complete miserable bastard in this country and many people know the hardship Irish emigrants faced in years gone by and are capable of showing empathy and support to those who need it at their most vulnerable.

26 Likes

I agree with that and have put my name down but i doubt we will be picked as its just a box room, however as ive said before, the 62000 holdiay homes should be used too

10 Likes

Are you sure?

What about Sudan, Yemen and Afghanistani refugees. Are they not as worthy?

You’re a hypocrite if you don’t think so.

Look it is an absolutely noble gesture for anyone to offer up their home to complete strangers. I seriously salute anyone on here that will genuinely do that.

You on the other hand can’t be taken seriously. You are probably the last poster that I could forsee being generous in any regard. I’d have you down as a tight begrudging bastard.

No offence.

When Syrian refugees were housed in Limerick you were moaning about that too.

You’d be better off admitting you don’t give a shite about refugees from any war and don’t want any of them in Ireland.

When refugees were fleeing Syria you were demonising them saying they weren’t refugees. If it was Yemen or Afghanistan it will undoubtedly be the exact same.

Now it’s mainly women and children coming from Ukraine, you’re moving the goalposts and trotting out more deflection.

“The homeless” as deflection is always code for “no refugees welcome” - because sadly there will always be homeless in this country.

8 Likes

Well, duh, water is wet, Bruno Fernandes shits himself in big matches.

Multiculturalism in Ireland has been a great thing. I genuinely feel it has brought the country forward an awful lot. People are people - I stand over those two posts you’ve found from 2016 still though. Gas that you had to go that far back…

We still have a homeless crisis here and I would always be more accepting of women and children rather than streams of males in their 20’s coming in here as refugees.

What I don’t get is the double standards - where was your outrage when Iraq was being blown to pieces, Afghanistan the same, Libya, Yemen, Sudan at the moment.

War is always abhorrent - but it seems like the “woke” crowd which you align yourself with only care if its white people in the war.

Why is that @cheasty ?

1 Like

If you want to debate with a straw man, debate with a straw man.

There is no point debating with you because that’s all you do. There’s also no point debating with somebody who is intent on sucking literally everything into a crushing vortex of the most miserable, negative Putinist cynicism, where literally any good deed or sentiment anybody ever does or voices is criticised based on some arbitrary fake logic which trades under the label “hypocrisy”.

This terminally miserabilist Putinist bullshit pervades the internet and is designed to suck us all into being a heartless, individualist anti-society, like Russia.

Oh, by the way, if somebody chooses to put up an Irish homeless person or family in their house, which would be a very admirable thing to do irregardless of the nationality of the person or family - that person or family is still homeless.

1 Like

Live and let live mate.

Thats my outlook on life.

My point stands though. The mass outrage from media outlets that were fully behind the likes of the war on Iraq are hypocritcial in the extreme.

Where was that gobshite @smark ar the time?

That’s a headshot