Social Media "Influencers"

Why should irish not count as a minority language within the eu? It is one. Just because you dont like it?
There is a campaign to access services in ireland through irish. It is ridiculously difficult to access healthcare, insurance the legal system and most government functions through irish. The attitude that’ ah can you not just do that stuff in english’ is an exact follow on from the penal laws. It’s a joke. Train em up. Id rather the translators were put to better use here than abroad but fuckit we should fight for every fucking thing were entitled to on the language front.

Not in the slightest. The Irish language has hundreds of millions poured into it annually but the lobby always has the begging bowl out. Maybe instead of pissing it up the wall on useless stuff not needed they could do some more practical things?

Again though that’s not the intention. Cushy translator jobs is the goal of the Irish language lobby.

I also have to say it is disappointing that the lobby have allowed themselves to be used as a Trojan horse for many parents who perhaps don’t want to mix with “non Irish”. The growth in GS mirrors the growing diversity in Ireland yet GS have few “non Irish” on their books.

The Irish Times ran a report a few years ago on the number of non Irish in primary schools in Ballymun. The bottom two are GSs.

Virgin Mary Girls National School: 18.1%
Holy Spirit Boys National School: 18.0%
Scoil NĂĄisiĂșnta An Spioraid Naiomh: 6%
Scoil NĂĄisiĂșnta Na Maighdine Muire: 10.7%
Bantiarna Na Mbuanna G: 31.0%
Bantiarna Na Mbuanna B: 17.8%
Our Lady Of Victories Infant National School: 28.9%
Scoil An Tseachtar Laoch: 0%
Gaelscoil Bhaile Munna: 0%

What utter fucking nonsense and conjecture. Bizarre lunacy. Fee paying schools get a pass on funding/equality and its all the fault of some nefarious irish lobby you cant quite identify. It’s bean uì Chathasaigh down in Rosmuc running it all from the kitchen island. She’s the keyser sozee.

Ballymun is a hotbed of Catholicism

1 Like

That’s just pure speculation and assumption on your behalf
 What we call scutter.

Is there a law forbidding the children of migrants from attending these schools?

How do they get a pass?

There are no countries in the world where there are not private schools who receive state money, despite the claims out Ireland being an extraordinary outlier.

What is strange in Western terms is that we have had a system growing so much in the form of GS that are exclusionary to non nationals.

Ballymun isn’t outside the norm.

Over 10% of children in education in Ireland in 2016 were “non Irish”. Less than 2% were in GS.

For some reason the baptismal issue dominated the last decade when we have had full blown educational segregation on ethnic grounds growing before our eyes.

Perhaps it’s because elitists shouting the loudest like Una Mullally are a product of that GS system.

So we should give up Irish to keep non nationals who may move here happier ?

I disagree. Irish as a language is worth supporting and keeping alive.

Are there many private school kids in Ballymun ?

It’s pretty clear. The number of migrants has grown and the number of GS has also grown.

Demand has shot up for schools that are less ethnically diverse. It’s also well known that it can be challenging to teacher children with no English coming into the system (they can of course overcome that, they’re sponges). The “regular” free sector is taking up that slack. Indeed in private junior schools (who receive zero state funding) they are more ethnically diverse.

GS are not doing the heavy lifting on integration but “native” Irish parents are rushing to them.

It’s great to see Irish being so popular. I can see why it annoys you but you don’t object for the reason you espouse. You object because you don’t believe the Irish language and Irish games have any value.

Give up what? The Irish language has been supported for decades.

It appears quite a few parents of late have seen the benefits of getting inside the cartel and fleeing the less funded “regular” system.

It has all the hallmarks of white flight/photo ID shenanigans that you see in the US.

That’s some take

I think if the Irish language was more spoken then that would be great. I think it’s telling when funding and how things are done with it is questioned that lads windmill onto other matters.

I’m not sure how a parent can in good conscience send their child to a GS given the below.

A Department of Education analysis of school enrolment for 2015/2016 shows non-Irish nationals accounted for 10.6 per cent of pupils in primary education. By contrast, among all-Irish primary schools, this fell to 1.6 per cent. A similar pattern is repeated at second level.

Yes but the popularity of GS now sees Paul Mescal and Dublin footballers who are fluent. That annoys you.

It’s easy see GS are the way to support and keep language alive

Your argument is an argument for GS. They are clearly working to increase Irish speakers. It’s a success.

Are there any Ukrainian refugees in Willow Park ?

It is alright.

10%+ non nationals is more than the speakers of the language here daily.

Ireland for the Irish thought according to the likes of him. The likes of @TheUlteriorMotive and other SoCoDu parents give themselves a pat on the back for not going private when they are promoting something far more insidious.

My kids didn’t go to a GS. They went to an all boys school which is much more exclusionary but it was only school offered.

GS are all mixed sex. Far better than same sex. We took place we got offered.

Yes, plenty of them. There are also Ukranian refugees in other private schools in the area. I went to two private schools and we had refugees in them long before it became a thing in Ireland.

That is neither here nor there though, the issue is about long term migration here. GS by their definition promote soft exclusion of new migrants here, they promote a mono ethnic society.

Again I’d be more than happy if we taught school through Irish from age 5 (as our teachers are supposed to be able to do). All kids coming in at that age are sponges. Beyond that we can manage with bilingual classrooms for people who move here later on.

That is not wanted by supporters of GS and the lobby though, I wonder why. :zipper_mouth_face:

Yet the gubbermint subsidises private healthcare.

How’d ya’s get from social influencers>Garrihy getting governement money to promote cheltenham>Gaelscoil/private school bollocks?