Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

Think they get their training here cheap enough then return home? Seems to be the way for most of them round here.

Despite Díaz´s optimism, the country still has a long way to go before claiming victory over its long-standing structural unemployment problem.
According to Eurostat figures, youth unemployment in Spain stood at 29.3% in March, the second highest figure compared to the rest of the EU bloc after Greece (29.7%).

1 Like

It’s a mass of lobby groups. The Teachers Council riddled with them. The latest nonsense is allowing overseas teachers for a limited time to register just so long as they agree to do the old paid mandatory Irish courses (complete with Gaeltacht visits).

Why are they forcing this on overseas teachers who can enrich our schools with their own languages (if from non English speaking countries) and skills when there is zero intention of ever teaching fully through Irish? Why not do as Lyons says and just get fully qualified teachers in for the periods when Irish is actually taught?

If the Irish language lobby actually cared about the language spreading then they wouldn’t be proposing further Gaelscoil. Instead they are pushing these xenophobic and monocultural places whilst forcing everyone else to keep up with their charade on the language.

You won’t get much diversity in an Irish primary school staff room. The only focus has been positive discrimination pushed by the likes of the GGA to bring in more dimwit Irish males to the profession so they can coach.

You also won’t get much diversity in a Gaelscoil student body.

The common denominator here is the Irish language requirements.

I just hope that Gelscoils kids getting sent to crèche soak up the children and adults from different backgrounds before they are condemned to their mono cultural primary educations.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve done plenty of research on this. Have you the numbers to back it up?

Yep.

Here’s more detail on Ballymun where precisely ZERO children from overseas went to GS.

Why are these schools growing in demand? It is curious that this has happened in the 20 odd years that mass immigration came to Ireland. :thinking:

Disappointed that no-one picked up on this for you @Bandage - it deserved more likes

But those people are paid as teachers, like any other teacher? What makes them big Gaeilge? Where is the grift? Is it bean an tìs who have people stay with them?

Which people?

You never deal with the substantive points on this issue (ashamed of where you send your own kids to school?).

Why is it a requirement?

Same reason there’s a demand for single sex fee paying schools.

There are private schools everywhere. Nothing unique.

A fully state funded school of this type is far more unique.

Some easy enough questions on them that the likes of @Juhniallio won’t answer;

A) why the growth in them?

B) why are they a necessity when we demand such a high quality of Irish from primary school teachers?

The various Irish language bodies love to make excuses all the while they expand their little fiefdoms. They’ve had nearly 100 years in our classrooms as well and have utterly failed. The only explanation is that it is deliberate.

There are none in Ballymun.

Is it only people who can pay fees who can aspire for better educational outcomes for their kids.

People send their kids to GS for the exact same reason those who can pay pay fees. A perceived better education, better school. If you want to make it about monoculturism then have a look at Blackrock College at the start and end of each school day versus a nearby free school.

1 Like

As I said, I find it absolutely excellent. The crèche also has an “after school” facility & my older lad was telling me last week that there’s 20 letters in the Arabic alphabet (is this true?) & Fatima isn’t allowed to eat sausages because of her religion. They learn about the language, customs & people from all these places. And the younger lad who’s in ECCE throws out random Spanish words & phrases. It’s great that they’re learning about so many different cultures & mixing with a range of nationalities & backgrounds.

Meanwhile, Peadar Paidi Og comes home from gaelscoil after learning how to hold a bog hockey stick.

5 Likes

I’m the first generation of GAA coach managing player performance during Ramadan and understanding the post match treats can’t be jellies. We’re always learning.

1 Like

Thanks pal. You didn’t have to do that.

Everywhere throughout the world was the point.

The idea that parents will look to advantage their child is a “no shit Sherlock” one that goes without saying.

The questions are very specific to GS and the teaching of the Irish language here.

what questions? You haven’t asked any questions

You seem to have rattled a few of the lads who send their kids to Gaelscoile.My brother in law in Cork is a massive racist, he’ll tell you openly that’s why he sent his kids there.Not saying everyone is like that.

1 Like

Wasn’t @chocolatemice saying that Spain was the best place to rear children?

I’d say it is if you want them to be unemployed

5 Likes