The English Premier League 2016/17™

Much really does depend on what happens in the next couple of fixtures. It’s stating the obvious, but the longer Tottenham keep up the pressure on Chelsea, the greater the chance of Chelsea slipping up. The longer Tottenham keep up the run, each game has the potential to become a cup final. But one slip up from Tottenham would effectively end it and that could mean they aren’t at full throttle from there on in.

Chelsea’s next game is at home to Southampton on the 25th, three days after the FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham. Extra-time and/or penalties there could make Chelsea vulnerable against Southampton. But given that Tottenham are their opponents, if extra-time was to happen, Tottenham would also be vulnerable on the 26th at Crystal Palace, albeit with an extra night’s rest.

Tottenham did demolish Palace at Selhurst Park last season but I’d expect a tougher battle this time.

Chelsea’s run-in of easy home games reminds me of Manchester City’s three years ago. Southampton are a team that could cause problems for a tired Chelsea on a given day, but one has to assume they are probably already on the beach mentally, as is likely the case with Watford.

Middlesbrough and Sunderland simply aren’t good enough to cause them problems.

West Brom under Tony Pulis would only love to put a spoke in Chelsea’s wheel, however. Whether they are good enough to is a different matter.

Everton are obviously the big hope of doing damage to Chelsea on April 30th.

It’s just about possible that Chelsea could drop the four points needed for Tottenham to capitalise, but for Tottenham to finish with 18 points from 18 is a task that will stretch their physical and mental resources to the absolute limit.

Last season we had a run of 6 successive wins against cannon fodder sides before visiting West Ham on a Wednesday night early March. That was the must win game to catapult ourselves into real title contention with Leicester drawing at home to West Brom the night before and Woolwich losing at home to Swansea and Man City getting hammered at Anfield. We lost 1-0 at West Ham and never looked like getting anything on the night.

I see a lot of similarities to that West Ham game ahead of our next league game at Crystal Palace. We still had to win the last 7 games and the comeback at Swansea was incredible - but they were still 7 games, we’d have expected to win, particularly with 5 of the 7 at home. This is a very awkward assignment at Selhurst Park, a London derby and an in form Crystal Palace. If we win, it puts the pressure on Chelsea going to Goodison Park. If we drop any points, the season just fizzles out from there.

Liverpool will get 13.

Crystal Palace are playing at Anfield at 4.30 on Sunday, so they’ll actually have a day less than Spurs to recover before the showdown at Selhurst Park. Chelsea as you said host Southampton three days after the FA Cup semi-final. Southampton have a 10 day rest between their game against Man City on Saturday and their trip to Stamford Bridge.

Good point. I expect we’ll pulverise Crystal Palace 1-0, thereby sending them into the Tottenham game low on energy and confidence.

1 Like

Fuck you you Cark wanker.

:brendanback:

I’m trying to reply with the artificial insemination emoji but I can’t get it to work.

2 Likes

:ok_hand:

Massive goal by Markovic for 10-man Hull at home to Watford.

Swansea also lead 1-0 at home to Stoke.

Sky are showing a fairly dull West Ham-Everton game exclusively live to viewers in Ireland. Randolph is on the bench today - not sure when he lost his place but he’s let in a fair few soft goals during the spell as first choice.

Barkley is dogshit, loses the ball so easily.

The Tigers and Swans are both 2-0 up. A great battle to avoid that last relegation spot.

Which of the two teams have we (TFK) decided to get behind?

cc @Nembo_Kid

We think that Paul Clement is a shaping cunt and like the motley crew the Portuguese chap at Hull has put together.

5 Likes

I second this.

1 Like

Signing in.

1 Like

Hull because their geansai is like our geansai. Kind of.

1 Like

Singing in, your getting mauled by the tigers

https://youtu.be/tgS1RFk1cU8

Burnley are in freefall.

@GeoffreyBoycott very quiet in calling for Sean Dyche’s sacking.

Why would I be calling for Sean Dyche’s sacking? Before their most recent two defeats to Top 7 sides, today against Man U and last week away to Everton, Burnley picked up a crucial point at Middlesbrough and beat Stoke at home. Dyche is doing a wonderful job and Burnley are on course to survive a season in the top flight since 1974/75.