The Gut Health Thread

Gonna dabble in a bit of milk kefir making. Grains and glassware on the way. Will try and source some proper raw milk although I’ve heard shop bought milk is the finest.

Between kefir milk and fasting I won’t know myself in a month. New year, new me I very much fucking think so Helen, how’s the family getting on ya gamey yoke ya.

1 Like

How are you after the fast

Flying it altogether. Incredible appetite and plenty energy. Food tastes very good for some reason. Had homemade burgers today and they were outstanding .

Overall I feel like it has recharged me. Might be all bollocks but if it has me fooled then I’m happy to be a fool. Reckon I’ll do another post Christmas binge and aim for once a month. Can’t see any serious negatives. Leg DOMS might be the only negative, they’re quite sore so I might plan my next fast around a time I won’t be hitting legs. I did have a great session though so maybe it is just down to that. I will check the weight in the morning but I reckon I didn’t lose much or any proper weight to speak of. I’m lean enough anyway so there isn’t much to strip off me and wouldn’t be a factor for me.

2 Likes

Nah nah nah I’m here to tell you you’re wrong on that front.

Well done its supposed to be a game changer. Do a five day fast and you’ll be in the Olympics.

1 Like

Sparkling water. Game changer.

I made shit of my stomach on cider in college. Was popping Rennie to bate the band for years afterwards. Sparkling water changed my life in ways I never thought possible.

Give up fizzy drinks as well. Sugar is the enemy

…but…isn’t…sparkling water…fizzy!?!

You could have drank regular H2O and had same experience. I doubt putting bubbles in it gives it magical properties.

All the fizz none of the sugar

It does. Same principle as Andrew’s. Carbon Dioxide neutralises acid. But in something like coke it’s cancelled out by the acid.
Water doesn’t have the acid. But it doesn’t have the CO2 either.

Genuinely made a big difference

1 Like

Informative rating :+1:

The Germans swear by the sparkling water. It’s a great society in a way. They are boring bastards in another way. But give me quiet weekends, windows always cracked open, and no speed limits any day

Bought that by accident once and put it on the cereal. I should have spotted the thicker texture upon pouring, but I was probably too tired. It was the same colour carton as the full fat milk, but with a few Russian onion domes, that I disregarded as seasonal decoration or some other shit. I eventually grew to like it’s tanginess.

I’ve had on and off issues over the last 18 months. It started when I woke up the night before a run with esteemed poster @Mac where I felt I was going to puke all over the shop and then manifested itself in a few bouts of constant nausea. The doctor felt it may have been stress-related but did the H Pylori test. Came back negative. I’ve had a few more issues since and the last month was pretty bad, truth be told. Went back to him. He felt that we should treat it as the H Pylori didn’t catch it as he felt I’d all the symptoms of it. He was especially surprised by what was going on with me as I don’t really drink caffeine. He prescribed the triple therapy antibiotic approach (I kept calling it triple threat until someone corrected me). Went into the chemist and she told me no drinking with the Flagyl one as it could end up in hospitalisation. I told her I was off to Liverpool for a match and she told me to hold off a week to start the course as “sure who is going to head over to match without having a few pints”. My kind of health professional.

Started the course last Monday. It’s been rough enough of the stomach. One more week to go. I’ve been told that it’s normal enough to feel crap during it, but the chemist herself said she went through it before and said all gut problems will be gone afterwards. Have gone from constipation to the biggest shites of my life (cc @cowpat ) and back again.

Doctor feels this will sort it out. If not, he said we will go with a scope

2 Likes

H Pylori has ruined my life.

That Flagyl stuff is harsh out. Go easy

1 Like

All the gut medication talk minded me of a time i nearly died

2 Likes

@Mac has that effect on some fellas

2 Likes

I got onto the M50 yesterday and was praying there’d be no hold ups so I could make it to the Applegreen (awful bogs there) in time.

Meeting your heroes can bring all sorts of nausea

3 Likes

@caulifloweredneanderthal making it all about @Mac again…

2 Likes