The Tennis Thread

Minutes away from Federer vs Wawrinka.

This should be a bridge too far for The GOAT but all we can do is hope Stan has an off day.

Let’s go Roger. Let’s go.

A lance armstrongesque comeback

1 Like

The Great Man breaks to take the first set 7-5.

The Great Man motoring now. 4-2 up in the 2nd set:

Wawrinka is injured.

Wouldn’t that be Federer? Takes first year of his career. Reaches semi final at 35.

The hypocrisy from the Fed heads is staggering. Rafa has shown us time and time again his body is brittle, if he had the natural insusceptibility to injury of the likes of Federer, Djokovic and Murray then he would have won about 23/24 slams by now.

The ability of Federer to compete in 68 grand slam events and missing only 2 in 19 years of tennis raises far more eyebrows from a doping perspective than anything with Nadal. Yet you ignore that.

Sweep Sweep.

Stan goes off court for treatment in tears comes back is blowing Federer off the court.

2-1 now. Whatever the medical staff gave Wawrinka I wouldn’t mind getting some.

Stan takes the 4th set to even up the match. Some performance from Stan.

I’m speechless guys and close to tears to be honest. Can’t believe what I’ve just witnessed

1 Like

After that, even the most ardent Lendl, Edberg or Djokovic supporter can’t deny that Roger is the greatest.

GOAT :goat:

Great Man wins 7-5 6-3 1-6 4-6 6-3

Incredible that he’ll play in a Grand Slam Final at 35 years 5 months 21 days

Ah this is a terrific interview between Jim and Roger #bantz

1 Like

Federer was in the semi finals in Australia and at the Championship in 2016. Even in his veteran years he’s pretty much a staple in the semi finals of the Slams. Championship & US open finals in 2015, three semi finals in 2014. Including this year, he’s made the semi finals in the Australian for 13 of the last 14 years. His whole career has been a model of consistency. Unlike the highs and troughs and long periods of absence that have characterised Nadal’s. Nadal hasn’t made a Grand Slam semi final, since winning the French in 2014. He’s suddenly re-emerged after another long absence and is playing as well as he ever did at his peak.

Federer is a warrior. He’s played through the pain barrier with a bad back and troublesome knee for most of the last 6-7 years. Nadal is constantly whingeing about various niggles, injuries, clearly has a low pain threshold and constantly ducks out of tournaments. The OCD probably fuels the hypocHondria as well.

Whereas Federer cheats on baseline calls when getting schooled by Nadal.

Just over 3 hours to play a 5 set match. Goes to show how quick the game can be when there is prick acting going on between points and at the change overs.

Roger won the ATP Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for 2016 - a six in a row win, twelve in total following on from another 6 in a row 2004-09.

Dont fall for it.

I have a family gathering at 12.30 on Sunday.

Almost certain I will get to see all the final if Dimitrov beats Nadal. If Nadal wins I very much doubt I’ll see the end if it goes beyond 3 sets.