The who is going in to work versus who is (Not)WFH/taking AL tomorrow thread?

Congrats. I got myself on to the committee that are deciding our future work plans. The consensus is for a hybrid model. I’m lobbying to delegate the final call to team managers but the powers that be want a centralised model. A lot of folk missing social interaction and sick of their immediate family dying to get back to the office. I will continue to lobby hard for flexibility as I want to get out of Dublin

1 Like

Work is important for some people for social interaction and drinks after work and that. But I’m of an age now where I’ve enough friends and sport does me for meeting people. That might change in a few years when I hang up the boots and that (although they are semi retired already) but for the minute it’s absolutely ideal

1 Like

100%, my days of work friends are well over.

Biggest catch in this is Id imagine lot less likely to change jobs. The pain involved in getting up to speed in a new job must be carnage if you are doing it all remotely.

Until my little mishap a few months ago I was at the end of the tether with my job.but I don’t know if I could move now… I don’t do a technical job so need to deal with folk all day every day

One or two days a fortnight in Dublin would be perfect as it would allow a chance to meet up for lunch/pints and get me out of whatever rural spot I’d end up in

The committee I’m on now, like any good committee, will probably arrive at a fudge like 3 days in the office that would probably be welcomed by the majority but wouldn’t allow commuting from outside the usual commuter belt

@Bandage is gutted he never got to bring the babog into his colleagues…

I could already do a day or two from home if necessary I actually have no need to be in an office. I used to go in because that’s what you were supposed really. But sure I spent half the day arsing around. I reckon I’m actually way more productive now because I feel I have to justify my existence, whereas before being in the office ticked that box. I hadn’t a massive commute but it’s still an hour back a day that was wasted. The work life balance is just way better. Two or three days a week I’ll go for a run at lunchtime and another two or three days a week I’ll go for a nap :joy:
Saving a fortune on petrol and lunch etc. and it’s just better for me in general.
Not for everyone, but definitely for me

1 Like

I’ll tell you who’s in trouble now. Mid level managers who do fuck all but “supervise”

1 Like

Labour regulations need to be updated. Work from home allowances, equipment, ‘elf n safety etc. Not as simple as just letting people work remotely.

The younger people in my place are struggling with the wfh thing. The older ones love it.

3 Likes

Ya when I was 20 something in Dublin and we went for pints Thursday and Friday night from work I’d be missing it big time. But those days are long gone

4 Likes

I’d say things will end up going back to normal fairly quickly, with maybe a bit more flexibility with 1/2 days from home a week. The second anything goes wrong the bosses will blame the lack of communication/productivity when working from home and we’ll all be back in

Most companies will go for a hybrid 50/50 or 60/40. The genie is out of the bottle now.

1 Like

I’d say companies are looking at the money saved and thinking this could be worth whatever hassles it brings

Ah yeah it’s better for me too… In this job. But I wouldn’t be in this job if I had onboarded via a computer… Of that I am sure

My boss is sound. But I don’t think I’d know that if I only knew him through the computer… Few pints you get a completely different view of a fella

In my place, the key decision makers are property owning middle-aged folk, I’m fighting for the right of the proletariat to move to Clare

When things settle down, and if this wfh sticks, then team building bolloxology will be a great industry to be in

1 Like

Paintballing in Shanagolden :muscle:

Imagine you could both work from wherever and fuck off to Spain or somewhere for a couple of months. We could all be digital nomads

The craic now is well-being and supporting managers and employees in a virtual working environment. Mental health awareness all that kind of thing. A niche for Bressie.