Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

If he just went Ozzy up top with Dessie and Fitz, people would forgive him as they’d realise its a team in transition. He’d have the job for years.

If Davy Fitz and MicheĂĄl Donoghue did a job swap both Waterford and Dublin would benefit. Each has what the other needs and each is unsuited to their current position.

Waterford need a facilitator, Dublin need a totalitarian drill sergeant.

2 Likes

Exactly…play Ozzy full forward or wing back; get him as fit as you can. stfu, see what he does. Its not actually a hard job. The other lads will buy in as he is basically 85% of Joe Canning.

The DNA of Waterford hurling is exuberance. You have to play to your DNA. Waterford hurling has been trapped in a cycle of mental misery since winning that League in 2022. It should have been a springboard, instead it was an end.

1 Like

The hurling they played against Galway on a sunny Saturday afternoon in July 2021 was as enjoyable as you’d see.

I don’t think Davy’s heart is really in it anymore. Clare broke him and Wexford was the last sting in a dying wasp.

Wexford’s defeat to Tipp in 2019 broke Davy. Davy did a good job with Wexford for three years and was exactly what they needed for those three years, as former poster @Sidney astutely predicted.

They had one chance. July 28th, 2019 was midnight at the party you’ve been waiting a lifetime for and the girl you want is making eyes. They had to take that chance and they didn’t, and that was it, and that was it for Davy. 2020 and 2021 was waking up at 11am the next morning and there’s about seven people left straggling around mostly cleaning up cans and you’re looking around despondently for the girl but you know she’s long gone. Davy’s only remaining role in hurling coaching is to shock a mentally dead and soulless team into life. That’s what Dublin are.

1 Like

Wexford were great but everybody forgets Tipp were down to 14 and still gassed.

I’d say Wexford’s gassing that day was more mental than physical. They saw the line and reached for it but it was still a considerable distance away. They got Greg Norman/Jana Novotna syndrome.

1 Like

Tis a funny one, Tipp had a lot of names and wrists and used the same trick in the final. If you match that TIpp and Wexford team, tomorrow, I’d have my life on Tipp. Limerick accentuated what they couldn’t do, they were still good.

Davy broke Clare more like

Dublin needs Davy and Davy needs Dublin. Only he can save them. Only they can save him.

Davy doesn’t even believe in Davy anymore. Dublin need to try the novel approach of getting some Dublin people to train the team.

Tommy Naughton was the last one?

Yeah. Did a good job too.

Didn’t McGuirk do a lot of good work with most of the current panel at underage levels?

1 Like

Anychance of Waterford actually backing one of their own to manage their senior side after the inevitable wooden spoon effor in the Munster round robin ?

He did. He is with Dublin u16s at the moment. A great Dublin Hurling man.

2 Likes

Did his teams have strong northside club representation or am I mixing him up with someone else ?

Waterford needs Derek. He’s one of their own and Derek gets Waterford.

Here’s his team that lost to a last gasp free down in Wexford Park in 2007 - very much progress for us at that point. Craobh and O’Tooles had won the previous 5 senior championships between them (discounting UCD interlopers) and Boden would win the first of their 5-in-a-row later that year. Bulk of the team came from those 3 clubs, with others from Vinnies, Na Fianna, Marks (I think Kelly hadn’t gone to Faughs at that stage), Crokes, Lucan. Stewie Mullen from Plunketts came on as a sub as did Declan O’Dwyer from Olafs.

I think it was a case of Tommy picking players who were good at the time rather than having a particular geographical bias. The powerbase in Dublin shifted from 2007 on. Craobh had won SHC in 2006 and thereafter the next 17 championships were shared between the big three southside clubs until Na Fianna’s win last year.

G Maguire; P Brennan (capt), S Hiney, T Brady; M Carton, R Fallon (0-01, 1f), D O’Reilly; J Boland, D Qualter; L Ryan, R O’Carroll (1-01), D Curtin (0-04, 3f); J Kelly (1-02), P O’Driscoll, K Flynn (1-00).

4 Likes

They’re bad enough already