World Cup cricket

Aussie win

Bollox

Who’s that Warner bloke playing for Australia in the World Cup? Is that the disgraced David Warner, now rehabilitated, or some new kid who happens to be called Warner?

Has the felling of anger and shame in Australian cricket subsided yet?

2 Likes

England just battered up 386 in the first innings. Buttler hit two or three out of the ground.

Archer last ball was 150kph :astonished:

He looks good. Never heard of him before.

He’s a West Indian. Was dropped by them because he got injured and somehow managed to pop up as an English lad two or three years later. Wore a big gold watch last time like snoop doggy dog or something. Toned down today.

Ingerland would be at nothing without Eoin Morgan. Brilliant one day captain. Must be on well over 500 k a year now for playing cricket fair play to him.

He’s done well in the IPL in the last few years.

I happened across this piece for the first time in some cricket writing this evening. One of the better pieces I have seen on sport

From AT LORDS

It is little I repair to the matches of the Southron folk,

Though my own red roses there may blow;

It is little I repair to the matches of the Southron folk,

Though the red roses crest the caps, I know.

For the field is full of shades as I near a shadowy coast,

And a ghostly batsman plays to the bowling of a ghost,

And I look through my tears on a soundless-clapping host

As the run stealers flicker to and fro,

To and fro:

O my Hornby and my Barlow long ago!

Francis Thompson 1859-1907

Comprehensive 8 wicket win for England over the Windies today.

Its hotting up ahead of the big showdown on Sunday. Old Trafford (either the cricket or the soccer variety) has never seen anything as spicy as this.

India and Pakistan “tensions” are high again. But this time it’s over cricket.

The two sides are set to meet each other on Sunday in what is arguably the most highly-anticipated clash so far of the World Cup.

Pakistan has upped the ante with a TV ad, satirising an Indian pilot who became a national hero after he was captured in February when tensions between the two countries were high.

He was later released as “a gesture of peace”.

The incident, which occurred soon after more than 40 Indian paramilitaries were killed in a suicide bombing in Indian-administered Kashmir, brought the two countries to the brink of war and escalated emotions in India.

When the pilot, Abhinandan Varthaman, was released, he received a hero’s welcome in India.

In the ad, an actor sports an India cricket jersey and a distinctive handlebar moustache like Mr Varthaman.

It goes on to recreate an “interrogation” video of Mr Varthaman that was released by Pakistan shortly after his capture.

In the original video, Mr Varthaman can be heard refusing to answer questions about his squadron and mission with the line: “I’m sorry, I’m not supposed to tell you that.”

In the television ad, the “pilot” is still refusing to give information. But this time it’s in response to questions about the upcoming cricket match, such as details about who’s going to be in the Indian team, while sipping a cup of tea. It ends with the actor being “dismissed” and then told to leave the “cup” behind - an obvious play on the World Cup trophy.

But while the ad is clearly meant to be a tongue-in-cheek take on a recent India-Pakistan incident, it has struck a nerve in India, with many on social media calling it “insensitive” and “shameful”.

But while many denounced the advert for its “mocking” tone, others have seen some humour in it.

A few users have also asked India to take the ad in its stride and retaliate by winning the match against Pakistan.

It’s clear that passions are running high before the hotly-anticipated match which is due to take place on Sunday in Manchester’s Old Trafford stadium. It is set to be attended by thousands of ardent Indian and Pakistani fans.

But seeing as a slew of recent World Cup matches have been cancelled due to rainy weather in the UK, it would be quite ironic if this game is also washed out - especially since it has had such a dramatic warm-up.

Can’t get a ticket for this for love nor money.

Surely one of your VIP buddies can get you one? Or ask the lad behind the counter of your local corner shop when you go down for the papers tomorrow morning.

1 Like

India vs Pakistan today.

Some day, this match is huge!

Great to have some proper sport on as there’s only Munster hurling and Connacht bog ball on in Eire today.

1 Like

Come on Pakistan.

1 Like

Fuck Pakistan

Things not looking great for Pakistan here

Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis need to get their shit together