World Cup Semi Finals šŸ†

Big Sam being ousted was the real big loss, mate.

He would have had England playing to their true strengths. Proper bull dog spirit.

1 Like

Yeah. He is basically their Glenn Whelan. Whelan has more shooting ability at least.

Decent analysis here:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a very good analysis alright.

The lopsided nature of the French/Belgian tactics was confusing the life out of Ronnie in commentary on Tuesday night who couldnā€™t understand why the full backs werenā€™t aligned.

The central tenet of the piece anyway that England couldnā€™t afford to leave two up front seems correct. And thatā€™s doubly so when Kane wasnā€™t involved at all in general play either on or off the ball.

Southgate has been wonderful as a man-manager but I donā€™t think heā€™s a tactical genius or anything like it.

He made a great play of sticking with the same idea all through against Tunisia and not changing the game plan or tactics as if it was a strength. But he did that because England didnā€™t have another game plan or tactical approach.

The 3-5-2 very quickly became 5-3-2 through panic last night once Croatia started putting the pressure on, and the limitations of Englandā€™s midfield became glaringly apparent. They were outnumbered, the ground they had to cover increased and they tired badly.

Kane and Sterling/Rashford became isolated and hopeful long balls became their only method of attack.

Southgate needs to develop another plan and find a ball playing midfielder or two.

1 Like

A few days ago you said he was an intellectual manager? Iā€™m confused sid.

There you goā€¦

He has brought an intellectualism and a humility to the preparation of the team that no England manager since Terry Venables did.

The amount of goals England have scored from set pieces is testament to him. England at this tournament have been probably the most effective set piece team Iā€™ve ever seen. That involved painstaking preparation and work on his part.

The vast majority of the failings of previous tournaments were rectified, however it still wasnā€™t quite good enough. Thereā€™s no shame in losing a semi-final in extra-time - England have gone further than all of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland and Portugal in this tournament.

As a tournament it has still been an outstanding success for him and for England and itā€™s a great base to work off for 2020 and beyond.

1 Like

He brought in a set piece coach. Presumably an intellectual one.
:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

He wore glasses, carried a clip board and used BIG words like dynamic.

1 Like

I think we can all agree Gareth Southgate is a top, top bloke and a fine manager who has made England fall in love with its national team again.

Meanwhile Eire fans have more dinosaur-era football under the dinosaur that is Martin Oā€™Neill to look forward to.

1 Like

I just had this confirmed via whatsapp from Vrsi - ā€˜We did it for our Irish brothersā€™

He wore a waistcoat and a tie

He has aspirations towards mid table mediocrity, but heā€™s already been found out.
ā€˜top blokeā€™, lovely!!

I didnā€™t say heā€™s a top bloke.

I said heā€™s a top, top bloke.

FFS sake.

@caoimhaoin , where did you think you got in wrong when you predicted 4-0 to England mid game

3 Likes

He was banking on Englandā€™s traditionā€¦

2 Likes

Thank God some of the lads on here dont bet on the outcome of sporting events. They wouldnt have a pot to piss in otherwise.

His S&C expertise informed him that Croatia were out on their feet after 15 min of the first half. What happened afterwards goes against all known sports science and has to be attributed to paranormal activities.

1 Like