2024 All Ireland Hurling Championship

That was a very strange game. Topped off by a farcical MOTM.

Very casual from Cork, which is disappointing to see. Those two goals in stoppage time were extremely frustrating. Shane Barrett, Hoggy and Brian Hayes the only starters who had a decent game.

1 Like

Cork are purring.

Its probably about the only real positive from a Cork pov. That and avoiding injuries to key players. Pat Ryan also has a stick to beat them with and any hype or complacency will be dialled down a notch or 2 now. They were always going to win. Dublin represents another small step up in terms of a test. More minutes for Joyce and O Flynn. The latter might push hard for one of Dalton or Harnedys positions or play an important role off the bench ala Kingston. Cork going through the motions a small bit typificied by forward subs coming on and taking pot shots from ridiculous angles and situations.

2 Likes

Dan Bourke is gonna be a good one

3 Likes

This is exactly the type of match that Cork tend to dish out an absolute hammering in, and then fail to follow it up in the next real test. Maybe a change in approach is no bad thing for ye.

I fully expected a 10-25 to 0-18 type scoreline, regardless of Offaly’s progress this year.

Indeed. Thought they would beat the handicap with plenty to spare. Maybe not a bad thing as you say.

A lot of people poo-pooed Offaly last week, saying they would have been better off losing to Laois. They showed the stupidity of that viewpoint today.

Offaly are a hurling county with a recent history of success, they are a different animal to Laois or Westmeath or Carlow or Antrim or Kildare.

The others will never bridge the gap. Offaly will. Because they are Offaly.

2 Likes

Joyce didn’t look great today.

Who exactly said that?

This is just from last Saturday.

There’s never any point in not winning or not being promoted. Every year you stay down at McDonagh level is another year for you to stagnate. Offaly will have a proper go at it next year, they’ll stay up and they’ll grow from there and the Leinster championship will be a far better competition for it.

1 Like

Was it not just people taking the piss as Wexford would have been the easier option and maybe a shock win to get? No one truly thinks that they would be better losing 2 joe macs in a row and not getting into leinster proper

2 Likes

I’d say the line of thinking was that they might be better concentrating on winning another All-Ireland U20 and come up from the Joe McDonagh next year. As long as they beat Antrim then it’ll be fine. If they didn’t though they would be Joe McDonagh again in 2026 which wouldn’t help those lads development.

Fuck Tipp.

And fuck Offaly.

1 Like

I don’t know as unlike a lot of lads I haven’t all day every day to be on here,I missed all that

1 Like

Yeah but there is no guarantee they go up next year. Carlow beat them last year and are decent. Westmeath have potential to get back to better form and Kerry have been improving. Nothing guaranteed, will Laois expect to win next year? Go up amd learn at the higher level

1 Like

Your better off going up and seeing exactly what it takes to stay there,if you’re relegated so be it

2 Likes

Wexford could beat Laois by whatever they want. The most important thing when facing Laois is to avoid serious injury and a strong referee in case they lower the blade.

2 Likes

Yes Cork weren’t at full tilt here, I don’t think anyone would question that. But people are not allowing for the fact that Offaly have improved a lot in the last 12 months. Their 20s are a year older and would have taken a lot of confidence from their win against Tipp and the JM final. They have plenty hurling in them. Obviously they’re going to have to bulk up a lot if they’re to compete meaningfully in Liam McCarthy.

If I was cork I’d be a small bit worried about conceding 3.19 against a 2nd teir team but then again they were always going to win.Anyone who has played sport knows that sometimes when you know your going to win you don’t really give a shit,win and move on

3 Likes