Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

Correct, eldest out the gap yesterday 10 days after his positive test missus will be the same on Friday while myself and the youngest have another week of self isolation after testing negative last Tuesday and of course our second test was then pulled. I am also getting daily texts from the HSE telling me to self isolate until Jan 12. I get it🤷‍♂️.

It’s a given the positivity rate will rise if they are only sending people who are displaying symptoms (instead of testing the 30 close contacts of one person with symptoms).

That’s a good result

1 Like

The next ten days are crucial.

I don’t think many aspects of the Great Barrington Declaration are realistic and given where we are with the vaccine now (it wasn’t when they made it), undesirable. The idea that we can put workers who have antibodies into nursing homes and lock them away for two months is an experiment is not palatable to western societies. The additional challenge of intergenerational homes they also have not answered convincing (IMO).

But we are living in prolonged chaos through rolling lockdowns, that is undeniable. You point to 2/3 months of economics without looking at the big picture. The longer term picture in Ireland was a budget deficit greater than our EU colleagues, to pay for lockdowns. And what has come at the end of these restrictions, a third lockdown. And more chaos in our hospitals. The strongest point that the GB people have is that in actual fact, continued lockdowns put the most at risk at greater risk. Rather than having one window of significant exposure where the State throws the kitchen sink at protection, you have multiple windows. The GB crowd actually confront reality, risk and trade offs - unlike those who like to pretend that all lockdowns are effective and virtuous.

If you are advocating Zero Covid, then go right ahead. Pretending a land border with thousands of daily crossings doesn’t exist, that we don’t have roll on/roll off trucking etc. has just as many holes in it.

3 Likes

so to summarize what you just said

herd immunity isn’t a goer
lockdowns aren’t a goer
zero covid isn’t a goer

but i’ll give the herd immunity guys a little bit of praise while knocking the lockdown nutters.

If you are advocating herd immunity then go right ahead

2 Likes

The very definition of demented stupidity…

Done with Covid… Done with Covid…

1 Like

Herd immunity is the whole point of vaccines is it not?

1 Like

Neither @Malarkey nor @EstebanSexface have the slightest clue what immunity is, how immunity is built and compromised, what herd immunity is, or how a vaccine works.

…other than that they are experts.

7 Likes

Could have been a lot worse

Godspeed, Bod95. Mick Martin was on the radio at lunchtime and I’m sure you’ll have been glad to hear that his “overarching agenda” is to keep people safe.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that Herd Immunity wasn’t a goer. Point me to where I did? I said their strategy wasn’t full proof at the time it came back. I think greater consideration of it would have to be made if we didn’t have a vaccine right now, as we would be stuck in the “chaos” of endless, prolonged lockdowns. Given we have vaccines, I don’t see it as a desirable course of action now.

How is that difficult?

The praise I give them is because it does actually confront the reality. Zero Covid would not work in Europe and without a vaccine, would not have worked in Australia and New Zealand without walking themselves off from the world for years and years.

Zero Covid and lockdown enthusiasts like to paint the likes of the GB declaration as uncaring. They simply have a different approach, they don’t bury their heads in the sand about trade offs though.

1 Like

Herd Immunity is surely the only possible way out of this mess? I just wish a proper plan which results in that endgame could be properly relayed to Joe public.

If it was in concrete that 24 months of intermittent lockdowns to ease Health Services being overwhelmed was needed to let population safely reach a sustainable Immunity level.
All of the above in addition to a realistic vaccine rollout would be great.

Hopefully a trend:

The current backlog of unreported case numbers will mean we’ll have higher daily case numbers announced for the rest of the week, but there is a slight hope it’s stabilising and the effects of the closing hospitality will start to kick in.

1 Like

It seems to be fizzling out.

7 Likes

24 months from now or do we get credit for time already served?

1 Like

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19#:~:text=What%20is%20’herd%20immunity’%3F,immunity%20developed%20through%20previous%20infection.

Achieve herd immunity through vaccination not by allowing people to become exposed to the pathogen that causes the disease.

More incidence in the community makes it virtually impossible to protect any group, vulnerable or otherwise.

Nursing homes aren’t the only issue.

The median age of people admitted to ICU is 62, in Ireland. The elderly and already very ill more than likely don’t make it to ICU.

Think about that. 62 is the median of people admitted to ICU. And you have absolute fucking lunatics who want to let the virus rip through society

1 Like

Ye must be licking the heads off each other.

Time already done, Christ we deserve some good behaviour reward.

1 Like