Irelands greatest ever Statesman -Martin McGuinness

So did I. As I said, generally there was a marked difference. There are some exceptions.

1 Like

SF want a unilateral agreed truth and reconciliation with the British.

The British and Free State Government are loathe to agree to this as their actions and inaction as democratically elected representatives of society might uncover some truths that will not sit easy with the citizens of Ireland.

4 Likes

Bertie looking very blotchy on BBC

Was thinking that myself, must be spending too much time in Fagan’s.

A rambling incoherent contribution from this horrible lying cunt.

Again, the British Army continues to occupy foreign soil where it isn’t wanted, and the British state continues to whitewash war crimes - just last week it exonerated a war criminal, Sergeant Alexander Blackman. And it continues to glorify and promote the ideology of war in foreign lands.

There is no moral equivalence between fighting against a colonial oppressor and fighting to uphold colonial oppression.

2 Likes

My Thoughts on the Passing of Martin McGuinness:
Martin McGuinness knew conflict so personally that he valued peace so much more. His life was a remarkable journey from armed struggle, to the Good Friday agreement, to his election as a member of Parliament and deputy first minister. When he embraced the role of peacemaker, his courage, determination and willingness to risk it all helped make reconciliation possible.
When you talk with veterans of the peace process like George Mitchell or Tony Blair, or Gary Hart who worked with me at the State Department on this issue, all will tell you that Martin’s exhaustive personal engagement with all parties was essential in uniting leaders and communities behind the Good Friday agreement and subsequent agreements have led to a more peaceful and vibrant Northern Ireland. The road from bombs to the ballot box is a powerful reminder that real peace isn’t just the absence of violence, but the presence of good schools and safe neighborhoods, accountable governments and systems of justice that treat people equally under the law.
As a Senator from a state where the peace process was always personal, I was proud to know and work with Martin. I will always remember, not long before I became Secretary of State, seeing that now iconic image of Martin McGuinness shaking hands with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth. Words didn’t need to be spoken. You could see and feel the power of that gesture, which was once unthinkable.
As a boy, Martin McGuinness read Yeats, who wrote of a “peace that comes at length.” From a controversy that some can never leave behind, Martin McGuinness spent his last years on Earth believing in an enduring if elusive truth: violence is not inevitable, and peace – even when it takes years and steps backwards and forwards to bring about – is never more trouble than it’s worth.

John Kerry

6 Likes

Bradley was brilliant on prime time

4 Likes

Generally typing there seems to be far greater warmth and balance to the Labour Party member comments than their Conservative Party counterparts.

A lovely tribute from the Basque Country

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCch_W2Ro38

Some amount of cunts on newsnight

I saw the Warrenpoint Ambush referred to as ‘an atrocity’ today. Like Kilmichael was an ‘atrocity’ I guess.

No difference between the two. You set up a trap and you blow the cunts to kingdom come. Simples.

Don’t let it happen again bud.:rollseyes:

Fergus O’Dowd was on the Late Debate last night and employed the usual FG tactic of cheap political point scoring. He brought up IRA atrocities while totally ignoring what triggered the formation of the Provos in the first place. He brought up Jean McConville to which Peadar Tobin responded by asking O Dowd had he ever heard of Joan Connolly. O’Dowd obviously hadn’t and Tobin explained it to him. O’Dowd blathered on about his abhorrence of violence but it seemed his abhorrence was reserved for one side only.

4 Likes

Tiocfaidh Ar La.

1 Like

The problem sid, as you know, is that it is wanted by a swathe, possibly a majority, of the population.
The brits would love to get out. They should just do so, but Ni/eire would need to be ready for another generation of recreational rioting and sectarian violence.

Thats an outstanding piece, thanks for posting it.

1 Like

He was no saint we know