Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Family reasons, clearly stated, are he wants to fuck off home to South Africa now he can’t pull in a mercenary Irish contract.

2 Likes

That’s a silly angle. He clearly said he was offered a contract and even if he didn’t he’d have gotten one in France or in South Africa.

It wouldn’t cause him to retire.

The story reported is that the new contract would see an almost 50% drop in wages, and there was no club in France getting near to what he was being paid either. He wisely decided the risks to health weren’t worth it and is going home to a comfortable life in South Africa.
Some slap in the puss for Limerick to have their Honorary International Ambassador decide €250000 a year wasnt sufficient compensation for living there. Big blow for Ireland and Munster but huge blow for Shannon to lose their most decorated player in the history of the club.

4 Likes

Are you forgetting SĂŠan Cronin :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Mick Galway surely? How many AILs has Stander?

1 Like

1 All Ireland Football Medal > Everything else.

A football medal better than a hurling one.

Jesus wept

Sean has had a fine career but he hasn’t collected the Lions caps that CJ has. Nobody has brought more honour to the club than CJ, he stands out on his own in terms of what he has done for Shannon. Just a shame that he won’t be around to give even more back there.

Actually, 1 All Ireland Minor Football Medal > Everything else.

How’re the plans for gaff in Galway going?

1 Like
  1. I don’t play for tanland and wouldn’t.
  2. I’ve never declared allegiance to tanland and wouldn’t
  3. I can’t believe I’m even responding to this canard
  4. A pain in the hoop.
  5. It’ll be a lovely house.
  6. Thanks for asking
3 Likes

You still think CJ is a cunt for coming here to work?

3 Likes

I don’t think anything of CJ. I think the fact he was fast tracked into the Ireland set up, over players reared through the system was appalling. I have zero, as in zero doubt he’d have played for South Africa if he could. I observe the regular “but he’s settled here for good with his family” argument which I always felt spurious.
I don’t think he, Aki, lowe, that English lad should be playing for Ireland.
I have no issue with genuine immigrants. He took an Irish lads place because he couldn’t play for his own country, and fucked off because 250000 euro a year wasn’t enough to keep him.
Sin e.

8 Likes

On the other hand

2 Likes

I thought you’d be above this kind of ridiculous strawman.

Peter O’Mahoney on the radio there eulogising CJ as a player “young fellas can look up to, not just here but in the rest of the British Isles”.

‘Pete’ is from Cork, isn’t he?

8 Likes

Shannon are fucked without him. At least they have Casey to put on posters, without the sense of fake pride to it either

Gway out of it, plenty put on the walls in Shannon clubhouse to look at. Plenty more than just pointing at 1 AIL and a Bateman cup

Would it not be Marcus Horan with 67 caps as the most capped Shannon player, followed by Anthony Foley with 62 caps? CJ Stander has 50 caps. There was also of course Peter Stringer who was affiliated to Shannon for a while, but I don’t think too many of his 98 caps were won as a Shannon player.

Andrew Thompson to the best of my knowledge is the most decorated Shannon player in terms of honours won in the club colours. I believe he’s the only player to have played on all 9 Shannon AIL winning teams.

On what basis are you asserting that CJ Stander is the most decorated player in the history of the Shannon club?

4 Likes

O’Stander Lioned out for the Tans.