The Winter Flu 2017/18 vs Covid 19 Thread

Ok guys.

I’m charting the level of deaths in the 2017/18 Winter flu season vs Covid 19’s return in the same period.

It runs from Dec to the following March. I will be looking at the O6 figures as my sample.

Covid currently holds a 297 advantage after the December figures but the Winter flu had a mammoth campaign in Jan 2018.

3 Likes

There are many variables to consider for causes of deaths in Northern Ireland

No mindless violence at the McKenna Cup this year.

2020 the clear champion for me with a whopping 1600 deaths over its nearest rival.

Not fair to compare the two illnesses. Flu had a readily available vaccine

My sources tell me that Covid WILL NOT surpass the Winter flu death toll for 17/18 in January 2018.

Numbers to be confirmed probably early next week but I have been told to expect the death toll for January 2021 to be below that of the 2,101 recorded in January 2018.

1 Like

This is intriguing. But I did a google, and you may know more, but according to this summary report the death toll was 255 in the 2017/2018 season. Am I missing something?

Speadsheet above.

2,101 died in January 2018.

Of course if we had PCR testing for flu (cc @glenshane) and automatically attributed any death with a positive PCR test within 28 days, irrespective of whether it was the cause of death or not - how many multiples of that number do you think you’d have?

I’m not being argumentative, I was planning on sharing this knowledge to try calm down some screaming Nuala’s I know. But is that 2101 figure just total deaths then in January 2018 then?

EDIT, ah wait, that seems to be a total deaths figure from NI?

Nevermind. Carry on.

Yes.

Total deaths.

Mad that nobody batted an eyelid in the winter flu season of 17/18 when people were dying off by the bucket load from flu.

Not arguing at all. Just clarifying so I may carry the good word.

1 Like

Poor @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

You’re a flu denier.

But don’t forget, there was no lockdown back in 2017/18 and deaths would have been much higher this year with no lockdown.

There was however a vaccine in 17/18.

How did you work that out?

Winter flu 17/18 is on the comback trail. Reels Covid 19 in by 179 in January.

So basically this thread is pointless…

1 Like

We had a flu vaccine jab available in the leadup to the winter flu season in 17/18.